Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSN Search

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stevie 57

Stevie 57

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:45 AM

A couple of days ago I opened up my MSN homepage and typed a search criteria (uk weather I think) and pressed go and nothing happened other than after a time the Internet Explorer cannot display this website message appeared and I just used Bing and then Google to do some searches as I thought it was just an MSN thing. I still cant use the address bar to search unless i type in a correct URL or use favourites and then it works ok. If I click more choices and select new window, a new window comes but still will not accept a typed criteria search. I am using XP with SP2 and have had no problems as such and all Anti Virus and firewall are up to date.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards Stevie 57

Edited by Stevie 57, 16 December 2010 - 08:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:39 PM

I'd take a look at the add-ons and uninstall/reinstall MSN.

You are missing a ton of security updates if you only have SP2 installed...ditto for IE if you still have IE6 installed.

Louis

#3 Stevie 57

Stevie 57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:16 PM

Louis

Thanks for your reply

What do I need to check in the add-ons ?

Regards Stevie 57

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:45 PM

Your designated search engine, for one thing.

Some add-ons do nothing but create problems in the browser functioning, IMO...I limit the number to only what is necessary (Java, search engine of choice).

Louis

#5 Stevie 57

Stevie 57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:00 AM

Louis

Please excuse my igmorance but if I open Manage add-ons in IE my default search is Yahoo. Is the search in IE the same search as in MSN Explorer ? I always thought there was a default MSN search (other than Bing).If there should be an MSN search engine (there is not one listed there) how do i get one.

Thanks again for your help

Regards Stevie 57

#6 Stevie 57

Stevie 57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:00 AM

Louis

Please excuse my ignorance but if I open Manage add-ons in IE my default search is Yahoo. Is the search in IE the same search as in MSN Explorer ? I always thought there was a default MSN search (other than Bing).If there should be an MSN search engine (there is not one listed there) how do i get one.

Thanks again for your help

Regards Stevie 57

Edited by Stevie 57, 17 December 2010 - 12:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users