Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to aquire a network address

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hilus

hilus

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:04 AM

Hi,
I have an odd problem that I can't figure out. I recently had a malware/virus issue that was resolved. However, after the issue was resolved, it was discovered that I was missing numerous Windows XP critical updates. after visiting the update site and rebooting I now have an issue with my wireless internet. I still have an internet connection, however I have a poor signal quality and the tray icon "wireless network connection status" is always present trying to "acquire a network address". Please Note, this an HP laptop with windows XP Sp3. It uses the HP wireless network assistant to set up the internet connection. however I never had this problem even when I was infected with virus/malware. I also never had this happen anywhere that my spouse went, it always connected without any problems. I wasn't until I went to windows update that this problem happened. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:57 AM

Some things to try, do you have a router or modem, reset them to see if they are stuck.

I am assuming you are not using a dial up? In Internet Explorer go to Tools>Internet Options? Click the Conections tab, and then the LAN Settings Button, make sure 'detect settings automatically' is checked.

See if that helps, do you have any signs of malware infection?

#3 hilus

hilus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:14 PM

Hi Mooseby
Thanks for replying. No malware, that was cleaned out by my previous post. Everything was fine after multiple reboots. Virus, malware, and firewall software was installed and configured without any issues. I used the computer for several days without problems. As for your suggestions, I have already done all of those things. This problem all stated after I performed windows update and rebooted.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:27 PM

Try doing a System Restore to a date prior to the update.

It might be worth looking in the Add/Remove programs to see what was included in that update.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users