Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suddenly unusably slow laptop. No viruses or spyware.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MasterALanh

MasterALanh

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:00 AM

Hello. First of all, I am new here and this is my first post so please have patience with me :mellow:

This morning I used my laptop (Compaq Presario CQ60 Notebook, Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2, 32-bit) and shut it down and packed it up as I have for the past year. Two hours later I boot it up again and it was tremendously slow after log in(It took 5 minutes to bring up task manager which stated that only 3%-7% CPU was being used). I reset it, and it did the same thing. I then booted it in safe mode and ran a complete virus and spyware check with Avast! and Spybot Search & Destroy. They both came up empty. I am currently using the same computer and it works at full speed while in safe mode, but not when I boot it up regularly.

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated! :wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:03 AM

Hi,
Have you had a look at what's running at startup by using msconfig? Guide with screenshots http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/index.html.

Don't make changes if you're unsure, ask here.

Hope this helps?

Richard

#3 MasterALanh

MasterALanh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:05 AM

Ok, I am checking out the guide now.
Will post when done.
(Thanks for the quick reply)

#4 MasterALanh

MasterALanh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:16 AM

Hmmm... I did find a "DSSAGENT.EXE" that was marked as bad on the site. How do I remove it?

#5 MasterALanh

MasterALanh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:42 AM

I did some more investigation and found that the target malicious exe does not exist. The folder is empty and there are no traces in the registry. I will uncheck "DSS" from the start up and try booting it normally.

#6 MasterALanh

MasterALanh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:55 AM

Nope. It was still as slow as before. I can't even do a graceful shutdown and have to end up hard powering it off while it is still running (I feel bad, but it won't shut down within 15 mins).

Back in safe mode again.

#7 MasterALanh

MasterALanh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:23 PM

I checked into the "DSS" problem and it looks like only the shell of a previously solved problem. The target folder is empty and all the places where instances should show up in the registry are clean. I'm guessing this was something Spybot Search & Destroy found and deleted before.

I'm out of leads now <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users