Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Ethernet Port Not Working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 soulshard

soulshard

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:10 AM

Hey guys. Im in real trouble here. i just bout a new pc. The mobo i am using is stated above in the title. Got it about a week ago. All has been well, until all of a sudden, today, the ethernet stopped working. At first, the connection just kept dropping every twenty min. i had to call comcast and have them reset my modem each time and that seemed to get it working for a little bit. Now however, i cant even get the thing to work at all. The ethernet port usually lights up with green/yellow LEDs when it is working, now the LEDs dont even come on and i have no connection. I have restarted my computer, shut it off, made sure connections are snug and everything is turned on. I have no idea what to do and i neen to study for finals tonight which i cant do without internet. Anyone who responds with something useful gets rep. i will be monitoring the thread and posting my status all night.
i have been reading that the fix could be a BIOS update, which i have no idea how to do and i hear is very dangerous. any input is weloome.
thanks guys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 soulshard

soulshard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:28 AM

it doesnt even detect that there is an ethernet cable plugged in

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:36 AM

Hello and as always...welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I take it you have a cable modem from Comcast, I am familiar with their equipment.

Now I need to ask you if your computer is directly connected to the modem or if you have any other hard ware in between the Ethernet card and the modem.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 soulshard

soulshard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:11 AM

using a wrt54g. yes its comcast. hooked up to the router.

#5 soulshard

soulshard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:36 AM

i think i got it. the light wasnt going on. so i swapped out my computer and hooked up my old one which i know for a fact works. and the light wasnt showing on that machine either and there was no connection. so i switched cables and changed the port in the router i was using and now everything is fine. weird. i guess a port went out or something. and thanks bruce. if i knew u in real life i would pay u or something. u have helped me out so may times. <3 u!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:39 AM

using a wrt54g. yes its comcast. hooked up to the router.

Okay we have a router in the mix here which creates a whole new reason why you could be having issues to which comcast has no control over at their end.

Give me a few moments, I just want to check the lay out of your routers firmware and its settings.

I need to ask you have you ever entered your routers setup utility and enabled use router as DHCP server?

This is very important, it allows your router to assign your devices an IP address from a list it creates starting with the next one up from its own IP address.

For example routers IP would be 192.168.1.1 now it starts assigning devices an IP starting with 192.168.1.2 then 192.168.1.3 the last digit changes up 1 for each device requiring an IP address.

Also sense Comcast is not a DSL service, you have to set the router to allow get an IP and Mac address automatically from Comcast.

DSL connections usually require a name and password, which is assigned by the ISP, this is not needed for Cable modem connections.

By the way, if your router is not allowing you into the WAN, then your status lights on your Ethernet adapter are not going to blink.

As long as there is nothing wrong with the cat.5 network cable and its connectors, then you have to enter your router's setup and make some changes here.

Most routers have a default URL and password to enter the router's setup utility and it is done through your web browser's address bar.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:45 AM

I seen your reply just after I sent my last one.

Glad to see you got it working and everything is fine.

No need to pay me...just a Happy BC smile is good enough for me. :thumbsup:

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users