Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Freezes/Crashes shows lines all over screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 atomiczap

atomiczap

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:38 AM

A while ago my computer would start to crash maybe once a week. What it would do is the screen would suddenly show nothing but lines. They were sometimes vertical, sometimes horizontal, and the color changed each crash, but the lines were always perfectly symmetrical and there is nothing to do but restart the computer. The problem now is, it does this every time I turn my computer on, within a minute of when I enter my password. At first I thought it would be a hardware problem, but when I start in safe mode, it works perfectly forever. I have no idea what it could be, I run frequent virus scans, and I can't think of anything out of the ordinary that I had done, but the problem just got really bad all of the sudden. The computer is almost a year old, I built it myself, and I posted the specs below. Thanks for any help!

HIS H577F1GDG Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Seagate Barracuda LP ST31000520AS 1TB 5900 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996599

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80570E8400

COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:45 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

First question I have to ask you is when was the inside of the computer checked for dust accumulation?

I referring to the video card and the CPU.

If you have continued regular maintenance and dust is not an issue, it either appears you have a failing video processor or your drivers are corrupted.

Try updating the video driver first.

EDIT: One last thing to try, try removing the video card from the PCI-E slot and re-install it, sometimes the connections suffer from oxidation, this process sometimes corrects this problem.

If the driver update does not fix the problem and dust is not a factor here, then your video card needs to be replaced.

Please keep us updated.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 16 December 2010 - 01:48 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 atomiczap

atomiczap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:25 AM

There is a little dust, but not enough that it should be doing this. I thought that it was a corrupt driver, so I used driver sweeper to clean my drivers, and it worked, no problem. But then I installed my graphics drivers again, and the problem was back. So I went and used driver sweeper again, and now I am getting the STOP blue screen 0x0000008e :-(

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:51 PM

Perhaps you can try a different driver version then the one you are trying to install.

Its worth a try, I had issues with my nVidia 6200 AGP video card crashing my computer with a driver I downloaded directly from nVidia. I don't know what the issue was in my case, But it turned out I had the same driver installtion file saved in my documents folder and when I used that file instead, the crashes went away and never happened again since.

So I would try installing a different driver that is meant for this video card, perhaps the one your using is buggy or corrupted in some way.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 16 December 2010 - 02:53 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users