Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Activating Windows XP from recovery disk.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 sudsy

sudsy

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:37 PM

Even though I hate quitting (see my previous forum post) I had already bought a new HDD for the computer that just got eaten by malware. It is a SATA drive that is replacing a IDE drive. I am running an Asus K8V Deluxe MB and have the new drive connected to the Promise SATA port (pri). I could not get the PC to recognize the drive if plugged into the VIA SATA port 1. Anyway it gets to the "activation" screen and I select activate on phone since it does not have an internet connection yet and entered all the numbers in the phone site but they say it is not recognized.

Any ideas anyone?

I will call IBuyPower tomorrow if I don't hear anything here.

Soap
UFO pilot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:23 AM

Did you use the same version of Windows that is meant to be used with the Key?

Retail Windows Key's cannot be used on OEM Installation CD's and vice versa.

Windows XP Home keys cannot be used on Pro Installations and vice versa.

#3 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:31 AM

I bought this system from IBuyPower.com. In 2004. It came with a "recovery disk" after my insistence. I am using that disk that has a code sticker with it that I put on the CD case instead of the computer case but the short answer is "YES" I have the original CD and it is SP1. I shouldn't have this problem but will call them in morning
UFO pilot

#4 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:33 AM

BTW

When I tried to select the "phone a friend" option it presented a very long code number very muck like a key code but all numeric that I had to enter into the system. That's when they said call my manufacturer
UFO pilot

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:52 AM

You do not answer my question are you using another version of Windows that did not come from iBuyPower?

#6 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:53 AM

I am using Windows XP Pro. That's what has always been on the machine and that's what I assume is on the Recovery Disk.

Edited by sudsy, 16 December 2010 - 12:54 AM.

UFO pilot

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:36 AM

What does it say on the sticker on the case

#8 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:40 AM

Are you serious? It says "Genuine Microsoft" etc. With the code numbers and a holographic type background. Are you really just jerking my chain?

Edited by sudsy, 16 December 2010 - 01:41 AM.

UFO pilot

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:50 AM

It should say XP home or XP pro.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:27 AM

Please be re-assured that cryptodan is not jerking you around - because we don't have access to your system, we've got to keep digging by asking questions until we're sure we've got a handle on the situation.

As you've said, you're assuming (reasonably) that what's on the disc is what was originally on the computer and matches the COA sticker, but maybe not. Is the operating system installed by the recovery disc being reported in My Computer/Properties the same as the holographic COA sticker shows? eg Windows XP Professional

If they disagree, so it's a case of the wrong OEM version, iBuyPower would need to sort it out. If they match up, another possibility for the problem is if iBuyPower have generated the recovery disc themselves under a Volume License rather than supplying an OEM pack, as far as I understand there are two different ways to generate an activation code, and again the supplier needs to sort this out for you.

Edited by Platypus, 16 December 2010 - 05:34 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#11 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:18 AM

You have 30 days to activate after installation, why not get it set up and running right first, and then activate on line?

Edited by PolaBar, 16 December 2010 - 07:18 AM.

#12 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:22 PM

Sorry for getting short.

The sticker says "Windows XP Professional 1-2CPU" and it has Microsoft in holographic images all over it. The disk itself says. "i series Recovery CD-ROM" support for the CD-ROM is Provided by American Future Technology" "Windows XP Professional SP1A" "For Distribution with a New PC Only".

I am going to call them and see what they say.

Thanks

Soap
UFO pilot

#13 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:21 PM

I called MS and read them the numbers that appeared on the activation screen. They said it was not a valid number. I was transferred to another person and waited for over an hour on hold and finally just gave up.

What about the 30 day time period thing? How do I do that? Is it as simple as "register later" option of something?
UFO pilot

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:30 PM

If the numbers are invalid then the recovery CD was built using volume licensing. You may need to just use the recovery CD as is, and that should contain the Windows Product Key.

#15 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:32 PM

I don't understand. I have been trying to use it as is. Can you provide any more details as to how to do this?
UFO pilot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users