Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavillion dv2845se DEAD during BIOS update

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 maddog20

maddog20

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:07 PM

Have HP Pavillion dv2845se - Rarely Used Bought From a Good Friend Works Perfect and Clean.

I bought this Laptop from him this week and here is what happened. It previously came with Vista so I wanted to upgrade to Windows 7.

I booted the laptop up with Windows 7 CD, installed a clean OS, everything went fine.OS ran fast and great!

Then I installed several drivers from HP website but was using Vista drivers.No problems

I noticed there was a BIOS update posted so I thought well I might as well update this too.

I closed all Apps and loaded BIOS updater on screen.

It prompted me and told me it was a newer version and to continue please hit enter or go.

I hit enter and it began to flash the BIOS "writing to block 1 of 18".....

I walked away for 10 minutes and came back and the screen was white solid and no HD light blinking.

I left it alone for another 30 minutes. Then began to get worried so I held down the power button 60 sec.....it would not cut off.

I unplugged it and of course running on battery it would not cutt off. So dummy me I wanted to cut it off so I took out battery while running.

Well it cut off alright. Now it is DEAD.

When you plug in the cord the blue ring around AC adapter lights up but no other lights light up on front or top and nothing.

Here is what I have tried thus far.

Unplugged Batt and AC and held power button 60 sec and still nothing

Unplugged Batt and AC and pressed windows button and B key and still nothing

I tried power without battery in and nothing....

So I have a dead laptop... Can't beleive all because of updating the BIOS. So did I fry the motherboard by unplugging batt while on? What are my options? This is a newer laptop to me and friend never used it. So dissappointed in myself.

Please help!! I am comp savy so any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:37 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Sounds to me like you corrupted your BIOS. This happens if the flash procedure is disrupted in anyway, such as shutting the computer down or restarting while the flash is taking place.

There are some recovery features built into some BIOS EPROM chips where the original BIOS firmware is stored in a non-volatile section of the chip.

The question now is does your BIOS chip have this recovery feature built into it?

Allow me a few minutes to do some research on the BIOS vendor of this laptop and if a recovery feature is implemented into your laptop's BIOS chip.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 maddog20

maddog20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:44 PM

Thanks Bruce!

So corrupting your BIOS can cause your PC to not turn on nor lights to come on the front? Very Interesting indeed.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:05 AM

Quick question.

Is this the BIOS WinFlash you used on this laptop?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-67680-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&os=2093&product=3686747&sw_lang=

And is this the page you started off with when selecting the BIOS flash firmware and utility?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=2093&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3686747#N2495

Answering these questions will help me understand if you used the correct WinFlash utility or not.

The pages above are for the HP Pavilion dv2845se Verve Entertainment Notebook PC. The main page for your laptop is here. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3686747&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&tmp_track_link=ot_we/prodlink/en_us/3686747/loc:0&cc=us

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:18 AM

Thanks Bruce!

So corrupting your BIOS can cause your PC to not turn on nor lights to come on the front? Very Interesting indeed.

This is an out-take from a warning posted in a web site that explains how to flash the BIOS chip on a motherboard.

Warning!
Make sure to obtain the BIOS upgrade software from a reliable source. Downloading a BIOS from sources other than the manufacturer's web site is risky. For example, versions from the same BIOS software developer for one manufacturer's motherboard may not work on a different manufacturer's motherboard. Using the wrong BIOS or version might "brick" the board, thereby requiring either a BIOS replacement or reprogramming of the BIOS by the manufacturer and rendering the computer unable to boot until that is done.
Make sure the electrical power source is reliable when flashing a BIOS. Any sizable fluctuation or loss of power during a flash process can corrupt the BIOS. Therefore, never power down or reset a PC when flashing the BIOS. If flashing the BIOS from a booted OS, first disable all unnecessary applications and background processes.
Avoid updating the BIOS unless you know exactly what you are doing. Failure to follow a manufacturer's directions and precautions may corrupt the BIOS as well.

The whole story is here at this link. http://www.wikihow.com/Update-Your-Computer's-BIOS

Bruce.

#6 maddog20

maddog20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:28 AM

Wow...

Bruce - The answers to your 2 questions above is yes! That is the exact bios flash I d/l and used and yes that is the laptop you pulled up and the page where all the drivers where located.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:50 AM

One last attempt you can make is try starting up the laptop and holding down the F10 key.

If you're in luck, the BIOS screen might appear.

If so, you may recover the laptop by loading setup defaults.

This page has instructions on how to navagate the BIOS screen. http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01215575.pdf

If all else fails, You can open the laptop and remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes, return it to its slot and attempt to start the laptop again, you will need to enter the BIOS by holding the F10 key.

Change the time and date and select and load setup defaults from the menu.

This is really your only chance of recovering from a bad BIOS flash without requiring the replacement of your BIOS chip. This means if it fails, you'll have to send your laptop out for repair.

It appears HP does not have any recovery features in their BIOS EEPROM chips from what I can see.

Bruce.

#8 maddog20

maddog20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:32 AM

Thanks Bruce...

I'll all your suggestions and report back.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:56 PM

I wish you success.

Trust me I had this problem happen once on a computer I was flashing the EEPROM chip on.

The video card popped out during the procedure leaving no way to know what was going on.
After waiting an hour hoping the program would successfully flash the system and reboot, it did nothing.
A restart bricked the EEPROM chip. <_<

Luckily for me the BIOS flash utility diskette I had was purchased from esupport.com, when I called them they happily agreed to send me an EEPROM chip that was already flashed at no charge.
Luck was with me that the motherboard had an EEPROM chip that was socketed and not soldered to the motherboard. So I was able to replace the chip myself with little effort on my part.

If you wish to try this attempt yourself I will provide a link to their web site.
Seeing that your laptop is NOT Bootable and you can not run the BIOS agent plus program which detects your BIOS firmware for you automatically and offers you an upgrade, you can contact them directly with your laptops make and model number.

http://biosagentplus.com/

Another resource for replaceable BIOS chips is this web site here.

http://www.biosman.com/

Edit: I want to tell you ahead of time, that EEPROM chips unlike the firmware, are NOT free items, you will have to purchase the chip no matter where you go, that is unless you have a friend who has a chip from a dead laptop who is willing to give it to you

I can not find any reference from HP as to who the BIOS firmware on your computer was written by.
Do you have any possible idea if it was AMI, Award or Phoenix?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 16 December 2010 - 02:05 PM.

#10 maddog20

maddog20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:19 PM

Thanks for taking the time to research my problem Mr. Bruce.

There are a couple things I am going to try hopefully tomorrow.

I'll let you my results.

Yeah I still feel stupid but I have flashed BIOS chips since the 90's. This is just he first time I got a white screen freeze up in the middle. I mean what would anyone do... like you said just sit there and pray.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:32 PM

You are right, one out of ten flashes can go bad even in the best of circumstances.

Most BIOS chip vendors as of recent years have fail-safe BIOS flash chips, they have a section of the chip that stores the original BIOS firmware where it can not be erased unless an EEPROM burner is used.

The problem with HP is if they incorporated this feature into your BIOS chip, they are not making it known on their support pages.

You may try calling their support hot-line and ask if there is a BIOS recovery available.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users