Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Norton.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 adrive

adrive

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 09:31 PM

This is my 1st post on this message board. Would like to say hello to everyone. And, thnx for this "help" forum.

My problem is, when my computer boots up, I get a window that says, "Please wait while Windows configures Norton Antivirus 2005." Then, a few seconds later another widow with an exclamation point inside a yellow triangle, pops up saying, "Norton Antivirus 2005 does not support the Repair feature, please uninstall and reinstall."

I went to Norton Support and clicked the button where it checks your computer for problems. It said I had an old version of something. I don't remember exactly what it was. But Norton gave me the option of downloading a newer version. So, I attempted to downloaded the newer version and when I did the same 2 windows poped up that pops up at boot-up and the download will not complete. I'm not sure but, I think this has something to do with "Active X." Then again, maybe not.

Is there anyway to send an email or talk with someone at Norton? If not, I think I'm done with Norton. I would like to know that I can communicate with a living, breathing, human body, when I need help.

In the meantime, can someone help me with my problem? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 10:11 PM

I can't help you with Norton, but I can help you when you are thru with them :thumbsup: Try one of the free antivirus listed below. I also included several other softwares you may find useful...

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition AntiVirus Freeware

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (2000,and XP only)
Spybot
AdAware SE Personal Edition
Ewido Security Suite - 14 day trial(2000, and XP only)
A Squared Free

Online scans
Trendmicro's Housecall
Panda's ActiveScan
F-secure's Virus Scan
SyGate's Trojan scan

Utility
cCleaner
Everest home (hardware and software information)
Fresh Diagnose (Diagnostic and system resource)
Memtest86 "A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic"
MicroSoft's Memory Test
Digtal Dolly (Hard drive utility)
www.bootdisk.com
BIOS beep & POST codes
Firewall Security Test

Firewalls
Zone Alarm
OutPost Firewall Free
Jetico Personal Free

Best of all...they are free.

Edited by acklan, 07 December 2005 - 06:15 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:49 AM

Were these the instructions you were following to repair your NAV 2005? Symantec Technical Support
In Step 3 they indicate the behaviour may be due to malware and suggest an online scan - did you try that?

Use some of the online scans Acklan posted and let us know what happens. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 05 December 2005 - 06:51 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2005 - 08:19 PM

Hi adrive, :thumbsup: to BC.

I am not sure what Norton product you have, but maybe this will help.

Norton Internet Security 2005 has one of the absolutely stupidest bugs I have ever heard of in it and what you are saying about the repair function popup at boot up reminds me of this flaw. The flaw is that if you move the Norton Internet Security folder inside the All Programs folder to another folder the program thinks it is broken when you reboot your computer and flashes the messages you wrote in your post.

I discovered this problem because I organize my All Programs shortcuts into folders according to their function (i.e. security shortcuts into a security folder, photo software into a photo folder etc...) and when I rebooted I ran into the same problem you are describing. To solve the problem I moved the folder back to the All Programs folder, copied the folder to where I wanted it to be and then went to the original folder properties and made it hidden folder so I didn't have to look at stupid thing all the time.

This may not apply to your case but if it does and you have moved this folder, just move it back to where it belongs and it should take care of the problem. If you did not move the folder, I really don't know what to tell you other than to try going here to begin your search for an answer.

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/home_homeoffice/

With the download, were you trying to install it over old version or did you try downloading the entire installation file to install it later? My recommendation would be to try downloading the file to your desktop or My Documents, disconnecting your computer from the internet, uninstall the old version and then try installing the new version.

Good luck
There is no justice, there is just us.

#5 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:46 AM

The problem with your Norton product is...well...NORTON! :thumbsup:

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:07 AM

The problem with your Norton product is...well...NORTON! :thumbsup:

Well stated. Norton is a resource hog. If you want to try something that may solve you probem try one of the free AV programs. I gave up on MacAfee with 14 mons left on my subscription and never regretted it...

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition AntiVirus Freeware

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (2000,and XP only)
Spybot
AdAware SE Personal Edition
Ewido Security Suite - 14 day trial(2000, and XP only)
A Squared Free

Online scans
Trendmicro's Housecall
Panda's ActiveScan
F-secure's Virus Scan
SyGate's Trojan scan

removal Tools

Kaspersky Removal Tools

Utility
cCleaner
Everest home (hardware and software information)
Fresh Diagnose (Diagnostic and system resource)
Memtest86 "A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic"
MicroSoft's Memory Test
Digtal Dolly (Hard drive utility)
www.bootdisk.com
BIOS beep & POST codes
Firewall Security Test

Firewalls
Zone Alarm
OutPost Firewall Free
Jetico Personal Free
Kerio Personal Firewall

Best of all... they are free.

Edited by acklan, 06 December 2005 - 07:09 AM.

#7 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 05:02 AM

"I gave up on MacAfee with 14 mons left on my subscription and never regretted it..."

:thumbsup: That bad of time with it? WOW, I'm sorry to hear that. I have had great success with them for many-many years. I have several others installed on the different machines at work that I maintain.

However, any product other than NORTON, is a step in the right direction! :flowers:

:trumpet:

Edited by micaman, 09 December 2005 - 05:04 AM.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 12:18 PM

I just can't see paying for the cow when the milk is free. AVG, or Avast do equally as good of a job. IMHO :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users