Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chayden

chayden

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:32 PM

Hi:
I have an HP HDX 16 premium notebook (64 bit), which I purchased in August '09. Have not had any trouble till now. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit is installed.
In the last few days I have gotten 3 blue screens for no apparent reason -- ie no new hardware or software installed. (I did install a new M310 logitech mouse about 2-3 weeks ago, but it is working perfectly.)

The first two were 'page fault in non-paged area', the third was 'bad pool header'.
I have attached the mini-dumps as I can't read them (or perhaps interpret them).

I ran 2 virus scans (Malware Bytes and Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool) and nothing came up.

I generated a system health report, and discovered 2 errors and 2 warnings. I don't know if these have anything to do with my problem, but they are below. I could not address any of them (my explanations are in parentheses).

Symptom: Device is disabled.
Cause: A device is disabled preventing it from working properly.
Details: The device, #UNKNOWN#, is disabled. If this device is no longer used it may be intentionally disabled. The Plug and Play ID for this device is USB\VID_138A-PID_0001\5-29152909-0-1.
Resolution: 1. Determine if you need the device.
2. If you need the device, enable it in Device Manager.
3. If you do not use the device it can be left disabled.
Related: Explanation of Error Codes Generated by Device Manager
Manage Devices in Windows
(I disabled it after reading that there was a problem with an unknown driver; didn't make any difference; can't find what this driver ID number refers to on google)

Symptom: A service is reported as having an unexpected error code
Cause: One or more services has failed. The service did not stop gracefully, suggesting the service may have crashed or one of its components stopped in an unsupported way.
Details: Service exited with code not equal to 0 or 1077
Resolution: Restart the service
Related: Performance Diagnosis
(I can't restart the service if I don't know what it is.)

Severity: Informational
Symptom: Missing Events in Event Log
Details: Investigate why 23% (5,926) events were lost during data collection. The settings for Event Tracing for Windows (ETW) maximum buffers and buffer size may not be optimal depending on which data sets are being collected.
Related: Event Tracing for Windows
(What do I do here???)

Symptom: The Security Center has not recorded an anti-virus product.
Cause: The Security Center is unable to identify an active anti-virus application. Either there is no anti-virus product installed or it is not recognized.
Resolution: 1. Verify that an anti-virus product is installed.
2. If an anti-virus product is installed and functioning configure Security Center to stop monitoring anti-virus status.
Related: Anti-virus
(I use Kaspersky Internet Security. It functions without any apparent problems. I have both windows firewall and defender turned off).

Also, the computer failed 2 of the 5 Basic System Checks:

Tests Result Description
System Service Checks Failed Checks for state of system services
Test Groups Tests Failed Description
Abnormally Terminated Services Check 1 1 Failed
Workstation Service Check 1 0 Passed

Hardware Device and Driver Checks Failed Survey of Windows Management Infrastructure supported devices.

Can you help me please? I'm worried about these BSOD's.
Many thanks. Sorry I don't have better ideas of what is wrong.

Attached Files

Edited by chayden, 15 December 2010 - 07:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:22 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

First off lets cover this item here.

Symptom: Device is disabled.
Cause: A device is disabled preventing it from working properly.
Details: The device, #UNKNOWN#, is disabled. If this device is no longer used it may be intentionally disabled. The Plug and Play ID for this device is USB\VID_138A-PID_0001\5-29152909-0-1.

This is the finger print scanner driver for HP laptop computers.

Next lets cover this part of your post.

Symptom: The Security Center has not recorded an anti-virus product.
Cause: The Security Center is unable to identify an active anti-virus application. Either there is no anti-virus product installed or it is not recognized.
Resolution: 1. Verify that an anti-virus product is installed.
2. If an anti-virus product is installed and functioning configure Security Center to stop monitoring anti-virus status.
Related: Anti-virus
(I use Kaspersky Internet Security. It functions without any apparent problems. I have both windows firewall and defender turned off).

The programs you listed above are NOT anti-virus programs.

If you want a free Anti-Virus program that works, try Microsoft's Security Essentials from this link here.

MS Security essentials http://www.microsoft.com/SECURITY_ESSENTIALS/

As for your minidumps.

I will make another post with possible fixes shortly.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:43 PM

Now on to your minidumps.

First off this web site right here is a good source for looking up stop messages found in minidumps.

http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.php

Here now is the list of your messages.

BAD_POOL_HEADER caused by driver tcpip.sys bug check code 0x00000019

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA caused by usbccgp.sys bug check code 0x00000050

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL caused by ntoskrnl.exe bug check code 0x0000000a

Those are the three errors from your dump files.

Check those against the web site I listed above.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 chayden

chayden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:04 PM

Thanks for the info. (don't know why we can't read these minidumps in windows 7 -- you could read them in XP.)
I reviewed the three messages and the problems that may have caused the 3 stops. One thread running through them is memory. I did the Windows diagnostic memory test (from Administrative Tools) and it said I had no problems. I suppose I could do memtest, but I don't think this is the issue.
Hardware and software...do you think it could be my Logitech M310 mouse? Could it simply be a fluke? I am stumped!

I appreciate any insights you might have.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:51 AM

There is a program for reading minidumps in Windows 7, it is the program I used to read your minidumps.

The program is free and it is called Blue Screen View, it by default points toward the folder in the Windows folder called minidump.

Here is the link for Blue Screen View.

Blue Screen View http://nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

By the way, the download link to Blue Screen View is about 3 quarters down the page, there you'll find two download links one is a zip file the other comes with an install and un-install feature. The second one is better than the zip version.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 16 December 2010 - 02:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users