Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think I have a HUGE Virus!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 FatJay

FatJay

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:23 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this site, and this is my first post. A friend of mine recommended this site when I told him about a possible virus on my computer. I am running Windows Vista, and my security is the latest version of Norton. Here's the problem (I think). Over the last week or so I kept on getting a "Low Disc Space" warning every now and then. I would run scans and nothing would come up. It only happened once in a blue moon, so I made it a point to sit down the other day and check on the computer's available disc space. I clicked on the hard drive icon, and what came up was that I had maybe 617MG (approx.) left of disc space. So I dumped out some music from iTunes, condensed and got rid of some photos, did a disc clean up, and figured that would alleviate the problem. I checked the hard drive icon again, and it freed up maybe about 2 GB of space. Nothing changed, the warning still came up again the next day. This time I reinstalled my WD external drive and figured I would back up and then remove more files. I also figured I'd run a comprehensive Norton scan as well. During the scans/ back up progress (which was running for 3 days total and very slowly), I noticed that Norton was scanning over 1,000,000 files, and the WD was backing up over 313GB of "Other" files! I new for sure, even with all of the pictures and music that we have on the computer, there was no way that we could have that many files. So again, I condensed and threw out whatever I could, even removed a program or two, and would go back and check the hard drive. The warning was popping up more frequently now (it popped up 6 times already since I began typing this) and the same results would happen, it would free up a gig or two, then within a half an hour it would be back down to maybe a few MG's left of space. I then decided to do a system restore, but a warning came up saying that I had very low memory left to create a restore point, and that none had been created previously. I did manage to get it do it once, but it only let me restore it to the same day (this was yesterday) and then I think it failed out. Also, Norton's Back-up scan has been failing constantly as well due to the low memory. I do not want to do a Factory Restore if I can avoid it. So that's basically it. Please if anyone can help me out with any info or a way to get rid of this problem, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks, and hope to hear from someone soon!

-Jay

Edited by FatJay, 15 December 2010 - 06:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users