Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

E-mailing pics(jpegs)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 PhilC15

PhilC15

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:02 PM

A couple of friends have both recently bought new computers with windows 7. Both of them use outlook as their e-mail program. We used to be able to send each other photos. Now with their new computers they can send each other jpegs OK, but I can't open them my end, when they send the pics to me.I have Windows XP Pro. Is this something to do with 64 bit encryption?....which I don't really understand. Is there a fix here, and easy way around this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:11 PM

Go to Windows Explorer view.

Tools/Folder Options...click on File Types tab. Scroll down to .jpg, jpeg, etc. What program is listed to open the files?

Louis

#3 PhilC15

PhilC15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:16 PM

Thanks for replying. Not sure wwere you want me to go.....Do I open internet Explorer, and go to view?.....or to Tools.......internet options?

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:51 AM

You just need an open window of the Windows Explorer. If you don't have a convenient link to Explorer, open any folder or My Computer. Follow as hamlius indicated through Tools, Folder options...etc
Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 PhilC15

PhilC15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:55 AM

I must be doing something wrong. I go to my computer, click on view, but I don;t see folder / options.?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:57 PM

Right click on My Computer...select the Explorer option, if you are not going to use one of the other methods suggested.

Louis

#7 damnyank

damnyank

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:35 PM

Maybe this make it easier for you to answer hamluis' question as to what program is listed to open the file:

Right click on START > Select EXPLORE > Select Tools (from Menu on top) > Select Folder Options from the drop down menu > Select File Types Tab > scroll down to .jpg, jpeg, etc, left click and it will display what is used to open it.

From what you said, I beleive you are confused between Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer.

#8 PhilC15

PhilC15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:54 PM

Thank you for your help and your patience! I follwed the path and fopund the files types.......I changed the program to open them to Internet Explorer. I went back to an old e-mail, but it did not seem to make any difference.....I have asked my friend to resend it to see if it will show the pics.

#9 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:08 PM

Are they sending you the pictures embeded in the email (so it shows in the email when you read it) or are they sending it as an attached file?

#10 PhilC15

PhilC15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:20 PM

Both ways to not work my end when I try to open them. They have tried to send them as embedded photos or as an attachement. Nothing at all appears my end .

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:38 PM

Email clients used...by your friends and by you? Outlook as in MS Office...or Outlook Express as in XP?

If IE is used...the default setting may not allow attachments to be opened.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 December 2010 - 01:40 PM.

#12 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:58 PM

If sent as an attachment, try right clicking on it and select "save as" and save it to your desktop (or any other easy to find location) and try to open it from there.

#13 PhilC15

PhilC15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:22 PM

My friends have Windows 7 (Home premium edition). I have XP Pro. They are using Outlook 2010 as their E-mail program, and I am using Windows Live Mail.
Even if they send pics as an attachment it goes thru fine between the two of them, but nothing appears on my screen.This has only happened since they bought their new computers.Prior to that we could all send photos around. There are some others in the group who have older conputers ( 3 years+), and they cannot open pics from these guys, either as an attachment or embedded in the e-mail.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:15 PM

What makes you think it's an XP issue, particularly if you previously received photos with no problem...and you haven't made any changes?

The only change mentioned occurred on their end...that's where I would start to examine what's going on.

Louis

#15 PhilC15

PhilC15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:57 PM

They have been in contact with Microsoft, their anti virus program help line, etc, and are told that all is in order. Plus now I find that they are now e-mailing to other folk who have older computers (3 years or so) like mine, and that those people can open the photos and attachments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users