Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Host file issues

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 macman104

macman104

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:47 PM

So, I know there are numerous, dozens of hits around the web for this seemingly strange issue. I have long used the MVPS host file on Windows XP. I just recently upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate, and as far as I can tell, my host file is simply being ignored. I believe it's being ignored because, when I go to pages, all the ads come up and if I examine the URL of their origin, I can verify in my hosts file that they should be redirecting to 127.0.0.1. I've tried numerous things and I'll do my best to enumerate them here, but I'm hoping to bounce ideas back and see if someone can't help me narrow this problem down.

I have tried editing the hosts file both by opening notepad from administrator access and also by opening cmd.exe as administrator and typing "notepad hosts" in the drivers\etc directory. I can open and edit hosts, and upon reboot it maintains the changes.

If I ping ibm.com I get the following

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc>ping ibm.com

Pinging ibm.com [129.42.38.1] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 129.42.38.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

If I then change the hosts file to read:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 ibm.com

then flushdns and reboot, I ping ibm.com and get the same result.

I have read all the threads, I've tried creating a new file, I've tried flushing then restarting, I've tried changing from spaces to tabs, to 8 spaces, nothing seems to take, and I'm running out of variations to search for the solution in google.

Any help, thoughts, ideas is really appreciated as I've now wasted a good 3 hours trying to solve this :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:41 PM

IE7 Pro works with IE8 http://www.ie7pro.com/

AD Blocker Blocks all forms of advertising, including Flash ads, rich media, fly-ins, slide-ins, pop-ups, pop-unders, spyware and adware ads, and messenger ads.

Disable the annoying mini download manager.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 macman104

macman104
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:57 PM

Hi, I appreciate the program idea. However, I use chrome, and I'd like to not install adblock software and instead solve the root issue of my host file not being used by the computer. I can provide any further information that might be needed to help diagnose the issue.

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:27 PM

Okay, I don't use chrome, so I can't help you with it. I'm sorry :(
If you are having major problems with the browser, then you might want to run your Anti-virus program and an Anti-malware program, such as Malwarebytes' Anti-malware free version http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

MS_MVP.gif

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 macman104

macman104
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:15 PM

Okay, I don't use chrome, so I can't help you with it. I'm sorry :(
If you are having major problems with the browser, then you might want to run your Anti-virus program and an Anti-malware program, such as Malwarebytes' Anti-malware free version http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Thanks Jacee, I appreciate the attempt. I have malware bytes and run frequent scans, I don't think this is a browser problem, as the command line ping command should be independant of the browser.

#6 macman104

macman104
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:58 PM

Windows 7 officially is screwy. I was able to solve the issue by COPYING, not MOVING the file into my drivers\etc. Moving the file results in a file that preserves changes, however it seems to be locked from use by the system. You must edit, then COPY the file back to location.

#7 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:15 PM

Thanks for letting us know your solution!

MS_MVP.gif

Admin PC Pitstop

#8 jerrymandarin

jerrymandarin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

Macman's solution of copying your own hosts file, thereby changing ownership, is a common solution to permissions problems which harass users in Vista and Win7, due to the introduction of UAC starting with Vista. UAC prevents Malware and viruses on your new Vista and Win7 PC (um, yeah).
In my opinion no discussion of the hosts file is any longer complete without addressing UAC. Many users find that they have no success overwriting their hosts file even after un-checking the read-only box and running Notepad with Admin privileges. While most experts and fellow users scoff at them as too incompetent to un-check the read-only box or unable to understand how to click "run as Admin", I do neither, because, of course, Windows is never as simple as that. I have discovered a solution for those that have become 2nd class citizens on their own computer.
Many more people are coming to Win7 from XP than ever before, due to the impending end of support from M$. Most don’t even know what UAC is (and sadly they shouldn’t have to), indeed, finally downgrading from XP to Win7, I did not know the specter of UAC until today.
UAC stands for User Account Control, located in control panel under User safety, submenu User accounts (Win7). Regardless of what you may try to do with FILE permissions or ownership to modify your hosts file, many people are stonewalled by Windows. This is because Their UAC is set to prevent this.
By temporarily setting your UAC to “Never Notify”, you can readily modify and save to the hosts file, assuming it has not been set to Read-only. Remember to set your UAC back to level 3 or whatever it was so M$ will exclusively control half of your PC’s files again. Wherefore art thou XP? I miss thee so!
(Justifications about how necessary UAC is on a home PC are simply misdirected in light of the many thousands of Malwares that continue to attack Win7 users and the remaining droves of XP users who rarely experience infestations. But please, make yourselves feel good telling us how M$ knows better anyway. :)

#9 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:23 PM

User Account Control was first introduced in Vista... please read the info http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc507861.aspx

To help prevent malware silent installation and computer-wide infection, Microsoft developed the UAC feature for Windows Vista. Unlike previous versions of Windows, when an administrator logs on to a Windows Vista computer, the user's full administrator access token is split into two access tokens: a full administrator access token and a *standard user access token

(*which is not the 'hidden/full' Administrator)

MS_MVP.gif

Admin PC Pitstop

#10 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

Two things:

1) The webserver handling ibm.com does not respond to pings.

2) Did you not use the MVPS .bat file to replace the hosts file? Be sure to right-click and Run As Administrator.

Edited by LucheLibre, 06 February 2012 - 07:59 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users