Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer slow to start up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 djpyst

djpyst

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:05 PM

I recently removed (I think) a win32autorun.exe worm. Since then, opening My Computer in explorer is taking an extended amount of time. The autorun has also been disabled and I cannot re-enable it. I am running XP pro, and have all current updates. Any help would be much appreciated.

Removed HJT log and MRL posts, moved back to XP at MRT request ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 26 January 2011 - 11:03 AM.
Moved from XP to Malware Removal Logs ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:08 AM

Now that have removed all suspicions of malware...can you state exactly what problems you seem to be having with your system right now?

Then, we will try to investigate/overcome :).

Many things can result in users reporting "slow computers", you might take a look at Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html .

Louis

#3 djpyst

djpyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:58 PM

The only problem I am having is that when I click the "MY COMPUTER" button, the explorer window appears, and a flashlight icon waves back and forth for a minute or more before showing my drives. This doesn't happen with any other windows. The rest of my system runs fine, which leads me to believe it is a driver issue. I believe that it has something to do with a Hewlett Packard scanner driver which was removed by a third party uninstall program. Re-installation of the original software did not correct the problem.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:24 PM

Take a look and see if this applies to you, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/819017 .

Louis

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

Hi djpyst -
Is this just on a shortcut on the desktop where this occurs, or do you get the same if you go Start > My Computer in the menu also -
<<- when I click the "MY COMPUTER" button, the explorer window appears, and a flashlight icon waves back and forth ->>

<<- Hewlett Packard scanner driver which was removed by a third party uninstall program. ->>
Was this Revo Uninstaller, or are you not sure ?? Is the HP scanner still listed in Control Panel > Printers ??

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 27 January 2011 - 05:50 AM.

#6 djpyst

djpyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:09 PM

Hamluis,

Yes, that does apply to me, however, I tried all those fixes prior to my original post.

#7 djpyst

djpyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:27 PM

Noknojon,

It only occurs when I click Start > My Computer. Yes, it was Revo Uninstaller. I already attempted to restore the original files with no result. Reinstalling the software did not work either. The printer is an all in one. I believe it used to have each component listed separately, currently it only lists the printer (no scanner). I tried a driver update, and it now lists HP Universal Printing PCL 5 as well.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:55 PM

Please...go to Device manager and uninstall any drivers which relate to this HP device/devices.

Then go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall any sfotware which relates to same.

Then and only then...reinstall the printer/device properly.

Louis

#9 djpyst

djpyst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:48 AM

Did as instructed with no change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users