Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows xp pro stuck on log in screen

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 sudsy

sudsy

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:59 PM

Split from: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic367114.html ~ Animal

I am having the same problem. I can't get this NTBR_CD file to run. I tried twice. Downloads but will not run

Got it!

Going to try in locked up pc

OK I tried to run that program twice. Still can't unlock computer after the Welcome screen

Well thanks. It seems to have worked after the third attempt. But now my AVG scan is running and I thought I would just let that finish. It seems like some of the tool bars are missing in Internet Explorer 8 and I can't run Windows Update because the active X bar does not show up for me to click to allow. That's how this all started. I updated the other machines but this machine went nutz. Could it have anything to do with it being an AMD processor. The others were Intel.

Soap

Edited by hamluis, 15 December 2010 - 02:10 PM.
Consolidated posts, merged two topics on same issues ~ Hamluis.

UFO pilot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:26 PM

i did everything u said boot it,ran it, restart it and still nothing :(

Please try the following ...

* Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
* Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Last known good configuration", and press the <ENTER> key.
* The computer will attempt to load Windows.
* If Windows does not start, try the same thing again .... and continue trying for at least 10 times, before you rule that option out as a means of getting your OS up and running again, normally.

Why 10 times? Based on past experience, a successful result is sometimes achieved after several consecutive failed attempts.
EXAMPLE OF A CASE IN POINT: Why 10 times?
christiedell ... "L K G C worked on try 5!"
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic267221.html
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.
Posted Image
UFO pilot

#3 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:34 PM

OK.Everyone should see enough above to get the idea of the history.

After having that "Screen Locks up after the Welcome Screen" problem I now have another issue. I am running a Malwarebytes scan right now.

Windows Internet Explorer 8 is missing most of the tool bars at the top of the screen. When I try to run Windows Update it says I need the "Active X" software and to click on the bar above to run that. Te bar never appears. I have tried right clicking everywhere in the toolbar area but cannot find the tool bars. I can't get to "file" "View" "tools" or any of the other buttons to reset explorer either.

And I must ask. If someone is experiencing the same symptoms at nearly the same time, wouldn't it be better to just have one topic to follow for all. Some stuff may work for some but not for others. If you get a fix then say so. I didn't mean to "confuse" anyone by posting within this topic. I actually thought it would be easier for all. The responder/moderator only has to look at one topic instead of several people trying to explain the same problem in different ways.

Soap
UFO pilot

#4 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:37 PM

Hmmm, you could try uninstalling and reinstalling your Internet Explorer, so when you right click the tool bar, no sub menu shows up?

Edited by Mooseby, 15 December 2010 - 12:37 PM.

#5 fred3

fred3

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:40 PM

I don't see your original post - so I'm going by the title only here:

This can happen if someone uses: control userpasswords2 and turns off the need to provide passwords in Windows XP Home.
This happens because the user/password provided is for user: Administrator.
And, the administrator login doesn't appear in a normal XP Home boot. So, it freezes right there.

The solution is this:
Go into safe mode.
Start / Run and type in:
control userpasswords2
Check the box requiring users to enter passwords.
This should fix the problem ... if this is what's causing it.

Alternately, after checking the box and getting out:
Rerun
control userpasswords2
Uncheck the box if that's what you want.
You will be provided with the opportunity to set the automatic login.
Type in a User name that would normally come up in the Windows login screen - with the right password.
etc.

fred3

#6 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:15 PM

Well it was working and I thought I was rying to fix the " no tool bar" problem with Freds post. Did that now I'm locked up again. I need to run some errands and will fool with this silly !@#$ later.
UFO pilot

#7 fred3

fred3

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:28 PM

"Locked up again"? At login?

#8 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:18 PM

Yes. Locked up again. Restarted in Safe Mode again and selected "last known good point" (or whatever) and back to being able to get email. Internet Explorer is all messed up. Tool bars missing. I can't remove it with the "add and remove" program feature just hangs up and then has a "is not responding" notice in the Task manager. Can't run Updates since I can't see the tool bar with the "Active X".

I sure wish I could find the folks that did this stuff.

Soap
UFO pilot

#9 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:00 PM

Try reseting Internet Explorer:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

#10 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:25 PM

More info,

I started in Safe Mode and after the 5th try was able to get some very limited time to open email and IE8. But after about 45 seconds to 1 min I lose een that. Then I can't open the task manager from the tool bar (right click) or the cntrl/alt/del function. I have tried to reset explorere settings other ways but will try this. Should I try this link in the Safe Mode?

Standing by!
UFO pilot

#11 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:27 PM

I don't think I drank as much before I got these Microsoft Windows Machines.
UFO pilot

#12 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:20 PM

Assuming something did not bomb your system, try this to uninstall IE8, althoughI am wondering about your issue.

Start>Run

type

%windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe

and click OKAY.

This will uninstall IE8

ETA:
that is the whack slash the one above the ENTER.

I am wondering if you still have malware.

Edited by Mooseby, 15 December 2010 - 07:22 PM.

#13 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:38 PM

OK, believe me I have tried to uninstall ie8 using the add/remove programs tool several times but tried your method with the same results. It gets about 7/8 done and pops up with "cannot copy file [hmmapi.dll.mui]. BTW your method took me to the exact same page as if I went the Add/remove programs route. At this point I get locked up again and have to go back and do the Safe Mode "last known good point" thing again to even get going again.

I'll tell ya the truth, I am getting to the point that I am going to just install a new HDD and sacrifice the emails that I have on that machine. I guess I'm just getting too old for this stuff!

Soap
UFO pilot

#14 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:36 PM

Try searching your system for hmmapi.dll.mui, there may be a copy still in an installation folder. If you find it, copy and paste it into here:
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\en-US\

#15 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:39 PM

Good eye deer. I'll try that. And for anything else the thing can't find.

Really, sometimes it just hits ya in the head!
UFO pilot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users