Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old problem....new attempt

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Soloratov

Soloratov

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:16 AM

So about a year ago I posted here looking for some help with an issue, and I was unable to resolve anything. So, figured I would try again. This isue has been ongoing, and completely random.

"Please select boot device" when computer restarts itself.

Here is what I have:

AsRock A780GXH/128M
4 GB DDR2 800
(1) 500GB Seagate SATA HDD
GeForce 9800 GTX+

What I have done:

Checked BIOS and third party software temps
Tested HDD with everything I can find
Benchmark GFX card
Memtests
Malware scans
Spyware scans
Virus Scans

Detailed description of issue:

Randomly, completely, the computer will restart itself. After post the message asking for proper boot device will pop up. If the reset button is pressed, same problem. If the computer is shut off and restarted, everything is starts up fine. When this problem occurs I can open the BIOS settings and the HDD is not there, but again, once powered off everything is back to normal.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:34 PM

You didn't post what operating system you are using, and your last topic was dealing with XP, so I will presume that this is the current operating system.

First thing to do is to stop the automatic restarts.

Start> right click on My Computer> Properties> Advanced> Startup and Recovery. Under startup and Recovery click on Settings, uncheck the box in Automatically restart under System failure.

or

Press and hold F8 when the computer is beginning to start up to access the Advanced Boot Options and click on Disable auto restart on error.

Once the automatic restart is disabled you will get an error message the next time this problem occurs. When this happens please run the following.

Download BlueScreenView BlueScreenView

No installation required.

Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Using the first set of directions you can go to the Settings and set the default operating system to boot from. Does this reflect the operating system that you are currently using?

Edited by dc3, 15 December 2010 - 12:35 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:44 PM

Possible fixes. First try replacing CMOS battery.

Second. Test\replace power supply.

Third. Recommend only as a final possible fix. Check BIOS version. The ASRock site has a multitude of updates for that board.

Please take note of this taken directly from the ASRock site.

Please read below information before download or update BIOS
We don't recommend users to update BIOS while the system is running well. For any damages caused by improper operation of downloading or updating BIOS, ASRockŪ assumes no responsibility. Before you download or update the BIOS, please read below + (How to Update) carefully.

#4 Soloratov

Soloratov
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:39 PM

Apologies. Since the last topic it has been upgraded to Windows 7 x64.

I will revise the list:

I have reset the BIOS, and have tried a BIOS update, but that was done around the time I originally had this issue. I have not however checked the PSU. Possibly underpowered? I will try that and see what happens.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:06 PM

I would suggest replacing the BIOS\CMOS battery prior to checking the power supply. They are pretty inexpensive and very easy to swap out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users