Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchased "refurbished" portable hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Toki Wartooth

Toki Wartooth

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:07 AM

I recently purchased a refurbished WD Passport external hard drive. It arrived today and I plugged it in. I was able to access SMART through USB which I was really hoping for! I checked the readings with Hard Drive Sentinal. Right off the bat I noticed Reallocated Sectors Count says 140. Is that OK? Some other values have since changed in the table because I started copying over some music files, but Reallocated Sectors Count was the only one that originally stuck out. I'm just interested in knowing if there's any wear and tear already on the drive considering it's refurbished. Thanks.

These are the current values as I'm currently copying over the music.

Posted Image

Edited by Toki Wartooth, 15 December 2010 - 12:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:00 PM

I have a paid version of Hard Disk Sentinel.

Aside from the temperature data...about the only thing that matters is the status of any drive or check.

Worrying about drive sectors...ia nor going to be fruitful. Drive sectors are reallocated when the utility (example, chkdsk /r) finds that data files lie in/on damaged sectors. The data is just moved to a new location on the drive.

As long as OK is in the status column...nothing to worry about.

Louis

#3 Toki Wartooth

Toki Wartooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for the info, hamluis. Won't there be a point when the area sectioned off for reallocated sectors fill up though?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:04 PM

Hard drive sectors...are very small, with more than you can count on any hard drive. One or more of the following may assist you in trying to grasp just how meaningless a sector might be on a hard drive. Every hard drive has unused sectors...which are then used when data is found and removed from bad sectors.

Hard Disk Sector Structures - http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_drives/hard_disk_sector_structures.htm , the first two paragraphs should be enough.

Bad sector (Wikipedia) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_sector

Bad Sectors On Hard Drives - http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1583&page=3

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users