Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:45 PM
Looking for help on Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64 bit.
When booting my computer everything runs normally until I attempt to login. I arrive at the login page with my 4 seperate accounts available to choose. 3 of these accounts have standard user rights and 1 is an administrator account.
When I attempt to logon one of the standard user accounts, I enter the password and hit ok. At this point the screen immediate says saving data then logging off. Next the computer returns to the previous page of the 4 user accounts on the logon screen.
When I attempt to logon as the Administrator I am able to login successfully. Unfortunately when I do login it takes me to a black screen with the mouse being displayed as normal. Initially when this page was displayed and left for a few minutes the logon.scr error would be displayed. Currently this logon error is not popping up. On this black screen the mouse pointer moves as usual but the buttons on the mouse do not seem to be active. From this screen I am able to hit "ctl+alt+del" and it brings up the standard options of log out, switch user, task manager, ect. Unfortunately when I click on the task manager option it just returns me to the black page.
Initially this problem came after a normal shutdown followed by a boot up the following day. There was no sudden crash that happened.
Since the problem started I have tried a few different attempts to fix it. I tried to restore the computer to an earlier date. This task was completed successfully but had no effect on the logon issue. I tried to run the built in repair manager. This program runs all the way through and tells me Windows is unable to fix the problems. I have created the back up disks to ensure the safety of all the current files on the computer.
The only way I have been able to access Windows since the problem started is to boot in safe mode. I am able to boot in safe mode with networking. Once I was able to access the web I also attempted running a few programs hoping to fix or find the problem.
I have run Trendmicro housecall and trendmicro hijackthis. Housecall did not find any problems and I have the log from the hijackthis scan. I unfortunately already ran the combofix tool as well. I say unfortunately because it wasn't until after that I came to this forum and read that I should get advise first before I do anything. I do have the log from the scan. I did not make any changes after the scan finished, just saved the logfile.
This is all the information I can think to post. If any additional information is needed or would be helpful please ask and I will do my best to get whatever I can. Thank you for any and all of the help and advise in advance.