Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD!! iastor.sys HELP!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 spinnell

spinnell

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:24 PM

I am experiencing repeated bsod. Everytime I boot and log in, I get the bsod. I have gone into msconfig and tried a safe boot/minimal it did seem to help, I tried updating some drivers, then reboot and get same thing. It doesn't appear to be a virus, but then, maybe it is. I just don't know!! I can usually fix probs on my own but this has me totally stumped. Searcg results suggest a driver problem, but as far as I can tell I'm all up to date...
I'm going to go ahead and attach a hiJackthis log...

Toshiba Satellite A305
Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 2.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

[attachment=82357:12-14hijackthis.log]

Edit: Log removed at MR Staff request. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 d_may

d_may

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:28 PM

I noticed you have spybot search and destroy.
Problems have been reported with the tea timer.
You may want to uninstall this program and see if this allows you to fully boot up and not get the blue screen of death.
d_may <_<

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:44 PM

Edit: Information is no longer pertinent.

Edited by dc3, 16 December 2010 - 12:52 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:47 PM

You may want to uninstall this program and see if this allows you to fully boot up and not get the blue screen of death.

d_may, It isn't necessary to uninstall the program to address the Tea Timer issue. Simply disable the Tea Timer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:51 PM

iaStor.sys is the driver for Intel Matrix Storage Manager
Check your computer for the latest drivers http://www.intel.com/support/detect.htm
Update in safe mode.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#6 spinnell

spinnell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:10 PM

iaStor.sys is the driver for Intel Matrix Storage Manager
Check your computer for the latest drivers http://www.intel.com/support/detect.htm
Update in safe mode.

I have tried to update, going thru device manager and clicking update driver, even pointing it directly to the file, it still says I'm up to date. I even tried letting the driver install itself, didn't work.... can I manually install?

Because of the HJT log, a moderator will eventually move this topic to a forum where a member of our Malware Removal Team will address this topic.
As part of the standard operating procedure, any replies to this topic will be deleted. Further more, any changes made to this computer will skew the information on the HJT log. Please don't make any changes unless you are requested to do so by the MRT member assisting you.
Please be patient and wait for this topic to be addressed by a member of the MRT.

I can remove the HJT log, if that's what it takes to get someone from this thread to help me out. As I said, I don't believe it to be malware/spyware/virus related.... error points to iastor.sys, upon extensive internet searching of this it seems to be a driver issue, however; all my drivers report to be up to date.

#7 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:29 PM

Hi Spinnell, please remove the HJT log and let's see if we can trouble shoot from here. If nothing comes of it, then go to the "Am I Infected" forum and post. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html

Please download VEW by Vino Rosso http://images.malwareremoval.com/vino/VEW.exe
from here and save it to your desktop

Double click it to start it Note: If running Windows Vista or Windows 7 you will need to right click the file and select Run as administrator and click Continue or Allow at the User Account Control Prompt.

Click the check boxes next to Application and System located under Select log to query on the upper left

Under Select type to list on the right click the boxes next to Error and Warning Note: If running Windows Vista or Windows 7 also click the box next to Critical (not XP).

Under Number or date of events select Number of events and type 20 in the box next to 1 to 20 and click Run

Once it finishes it will display a log file in notepad

Please copy and paste its entire contents into your next reply

MS_MVP.gif

Admin PC Pitstop

#8 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:14 PM

One more request, uninstall the Ask Toolbar

• Click on the Start button and you will notice Control Panel item in right pane.
  • Click on Control Panel option and it will bring up new dialog box Adjust your computer's settings. There is a option named Programs. Click on it.
  • Clicking on Programs option will bring up new window that has section Programs and Features.
  • Click on the one that you want to uninstall or update, click on that program.
  • Click on Uninstall/Change link in the bar to perform the action.
  • Using Windows Explorer (Windows key+e), search for the AskToolbar folder. If the program folder is still there, select/highlight the AskToolbar folder. DELETE it. (File > Delete.) If Windows is not installed on the C drive, replace C:\ with the appropriate drive letter.
  • Close Windows Explorer.

Edited by Jacee, 15 December 2010 - 09:15 PM.

MS_MVP.gif

Admin PC Pitstop

#9 spinnell

spinnell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:39 AM

bear with me, I'm working on it...

#10 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:19 PM

:thumbsup: Ok

MS_MVP.gif

Admin PC Pitstop

#11 spinnell

spinnell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:20 PM

okay... you are probably gonna hate me now, and I may need a new topic, if there is any hope at all. Prior to recieving any replies to this topic... I let my husband take my laptop to work where his IT department looked at it. First they said, it was fried. Then they decided, no it was a virus. I was informed that every file on the machine was infected... which seems unreal to me. I am always on top of all my updates, antivirus software, etc and I scan regularly. They told me my only hope was to clean the drive and do a fresh install (which is MUCH better than fried!) but I wanted to try the instructions you had given me. Well, now that they have given it back to me, it will not boot at all! I get the bsod everytime. If there is nothing you can do, I understand!! I know I should have been patient, not my best quality! anyway here is the stop error: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A9928, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

Thanks so much for your efforts, dispite my impatience! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users