Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Woes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lt. Jeremy Z

Lt. Jeremy Z

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:56 PM

I have Local Telephone DSL 3.5MB Service connected to wireless Linksys Router. Network is being received by my PC via a USB Wireless device, connected standard 54mbps but it is always degrading to 36 or 24 or worse. I have an excellent connecting signal and i never completely lose connection, but there is a huge differnce in perfomance when gaming or streaming of even browsing web pages. My solution to the problem is to unplug the wireless router and this seems to restore the original speed, but then eventually the connection will get slow again and never improves until i unplug the router. I have no idea where to start, my first instinct is to go buy a new router, but i figured i would post this to see if anyone had a better idea first. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:33 PM

What model of linksys router do you have
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Lt. Jeremy Z

Lt. Jeremy Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:01 PM

The Router Model is Linksys WRT54G 2.4Ghz Wireless

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:21 PM

Given the age of the router and the fact that I have seen similar posts about this model as it gets older I would recommend getting a new router.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 Lt. Jeremy Z

Lt. Jeremy Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:44 PM

Thank you for your suggestion. I figured that would be my best course of action, but a second opinion is always nice.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:20 PM

I have that exact router.
At least once a month I have to reset it as it will either slow down considerably or drop the connection
Replacing it might not be a bad idea
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 Lt. Jeremy Z

Lt. Jeremy Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:25 PM

Just to let everyone know I replaced the wireless router with a new 30 dollar belkin and everything is working seemlessly. The only issue i encountered was connecting my Wii to the network. but once i disabled security connected the wii then turned the encryption back on eveything was working great. Thanks for all the input and happy holidays.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users