Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking at buying a new pc...advice appreciated on these few systems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Spaniel1287

Spaniel1287

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:38 PM

I have had my desktop for 8 years now and I purchased it from CYBERPOWERPC and it has been a charm before it has went down the way side recently. I think 8 years is a decent life out of a computer lol. Anyways, I was looking at few new pcs to get, however there were a few things I questioned on these:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5279689&CatId=5140

This PC looks great with the quad-core cpu and the 8GB of memory. However, the 512mb video card and the 280W powersupply kind of worry me.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6325027&Sku=A180-0218

This PC looks nice because I am in need of a new monitor and this comes with a big one. The differences would be that this one is a dual core cpu. And has 4GB of memory.

When looking at these 2 machines, I probably wouldn't ever need more than 4GB of memory. What my one concern is, what is the big difference between a quadcore processor at 2.33Ghz and a dualcore processor at 2.8Ghz? Is there really that big of a difference between a dual core and quad core cpu?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:20 AM

Are you going to be building a PC or buying it pre-built? A quad core has four cores and a dual has two, whether or not there is a performance difference depends on the applications you use. If a game uses all four cores, it will run much faster than the dual, even if the individual cores on the quad core are clocked slower. However, if it cannot run on four cores but is restricted to two, the dual may prove superior becuase it's two cores are clocked higher in your example, whereas the game would only utilize two of the quad's cores at slower speeds.

3939.png

#3 Wee

Wee

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:49 PM

For the price this seems like a pretty good deal to me: My link
Also you can make a decent machine on the Dell website for that price or what about cyberpower they have good machines for that price too....Happy hunting.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:29 AM

That computer may be a good deal, though it isn't powerful enough for gaming using on-board graphics with a low-end power supply. Futher inquiries at HP's site seems to indicate that it doesn't ship with 64-bit Windows and is probably loaded down with heaps of crapware. I don't do any major OEM's like Dell or HP for my desktop PC's since they often use parts with questionable quality that aren't off-the-shelf. If I had to get a new computer and decided not to build it myself, I would go for a boutique builder, like Maingear, Velocity Micro, or Puget Systems. You pay more, but you are getting a great PC with, usually, good customer service.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users