Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Expolorer's severe trouble

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 merellogalasso

merellogalasso

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:22 PM

I own a real good functioning, permanently scanned, defragged, a square antivirus, continuous malware application scanned, etc., desk PC, that has started to disclose severe WE troubles. Practically nothing can be do that involves WE, because it hangs the PC, starting for allerting that a trouble has happened and that it will send the failures. If one is with luck, it spontaneoulsy get recovered and, then, one is able to rise its pirorities at the 'real time' point getting some stability. If not it's necessary to turn the PC off with the start button!!!! that for me is most disagreable. I have an XP pro Pack3. It's the only failure; but most disturbing. Mostly appreciated some help. Kind regards and thanks.
"There are atoms and vacuum; the rest is opinion"
(Democritus, several centuries before Hume and Kant)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:44 PM

A clean install would be my first step/solution. Before I did that, I would run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic to check the status of the drive before I attempted a clean install.

IMO, over time, something is bound to create a disturbance in Windows or the hardware. To troubleshoot the problem, something needs to be taken out of the equation of possibilities and Windows is the easiest, most convenient item. If problems continue, then I would look to hardware.

For those who think that every problem with Windows can be "fixed", I suggest starting with taking a good look at errors reflected in Event Viewer.

I would also download/run BlueScreenView, to see if there are any .dmp files which have been indicating problems but which I have ignored or been unaware of.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 December 2010 - 06:58 PM.

#3 jwjw2010

jwjw2010

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:51 PM

Short term fix that might work. Go to task manager and kill the explorer.exe process and then click on file, "new task run", and type in explorer.exe. Just basically restarting explorer. That fixes a lot of hang ups that I encounter. Again, that is a short term fix that doesn't resolve the underlying issue.

#4 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:36 AM

When "the criminal" gives me time, that's what I do. But that is just short term solution. Many thanks. Cheers

Short term fix that might work. Go to task manager and kill the explorer.exe process and then click on file, "new task run", and type in explorer.exe. Just basically restarting explorer. That fixes a lot of hang ups that I encounter. Again, that is a short term fix that doesn't resolve the underlying issue.

#5 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:42 AM

Many thanks. Excuse, please, my ignorance, but what does your second paragraph mean. IMO???

I will try to perform what you advice me.

Many thanks and kind regards.

A clean install would be my first step/solution. Before I did that, I would run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic to check the status of the drive before I attempted a clean install.

IMO, over time, something is bound to create a disturbance in Windows or the hardware. To troubleshoot the problem, something needs to be taken out of the equation of possibilities and Windows is the easiest, most convenient item. If problems continue, then I would look to hardware.

For those who think that every problem with Windows can be "fixed", I suggest starting with taking a good look at errors reflected in Event Viewer.

I would also download/run BlueScreenView, to see if there are any .dmp files which have been indicating problems but which I have ignored or been unaware of.

Louis

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:46 AM

what does your second paragraph mean. IMO???

IMO = in my opinion
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:51 AM

Ho, ho, ho. Please, be so kind to keep in mind that abbreviations at such degree are not still in use here. Cheers.

what does your second paragraph mean. IMO???

IMO = in my opinion

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:53 AM

The issue you are experiencing may be the result of hard disk file system corruption. Please do the following:

:step1: The first thing that you should do is to check that your hard drive is not failing. On a working computer, download the diagnostic utility from the hard drive manufacturer's website to create a bootable floppy or CD.

To make a bootable CD, download the .ISO image to your computer. If you don't have a suitable burning program, download ImgBurn and install it. Open ImgBurn, and choose to "Write image file to disc", and then navigate to the .ISO file that you have just downloaded. The completed CD will then be bootable.

Boot the afflicted machine with with the CD that you have just burned, and run the short/quick test and then the long/extended test. If the hard drive tests show NO problems what-so-ever with the hard drive, then it is safe to proceed with more work to check and fix any disk file system corruption.

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD, see the following link:
How to Set BIOS to Boot from CDROM:
http://www.hiren.info/pages/bios-boot-cdrom

If there is no problem what-so-ever with the hard drive as shown by the above test ... and if your computer is still booting into Windows OK, continue with the next step.

:step2: Use the Windows Error checking utility (Check Disk), with the option to "Automatically fix file system errors".
  • Open "My Computer"
  • Right-click on the drive that you wish to check (C: drive/your System drive) > Properties > Tools > and in the "Error checking" section, click on "Check now".
  • Place a tick in the upper box ONLY "Automatically fix file system errors" > Start.
  • A message will notify you that a restart is necessary: Click OK, and close all windows.
  • Re-start the computer. The disk will be checked when the system boots.
    This test will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
  • When the disk check is complete, the system will re-start automatically and load Windows.
  • If any errors were found, it may be prudent to repeat Check Disk.

:step3: Find the log produced by the Error Check (Check Disk), and post it to the forum.

A log of the disk check is recorded (only if the scheduled re-start is used).
To open Event Viewer and view the log:
  • Go to Start > Run > and type eventvwr and press the <ENTER> key.
  • In the left pane, click on Application.
  • In the right pane, at the top, click on the column heading Source to sort the list alphabetically.
  • Look in the Source column for "Winlogon", with an entry corresponding to the date and time of the disk check.
  • Double-click on that entry to view the log.
  • Click on the "copy" button to copy the log to the clipboard.
  • Paste the log text into your next reply.

Edited by AustrAlien, 15 December 2010 - 06:59 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users