Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erasing Windows 7 64 bit

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:35 PM

In previous issues of Windows OS (95-Vista) it was fairly simple and straightforward to be able to erase the current OS and make the drive clean again, using wiping utilities. I've not found any software that effectively cleans up and removes the Windows 7 x64bit OS. Am I missing something? Is this due to the Windows 7 OS or the fact it's 64 bit? Darik's Boot & Nuke won't even touch it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:04 PM

Hi,

Why don't you just format system partition, when installing new OS?
It will erase current OS!

This might help: install-uninstall-reinstall Windows 7

Max

Edited by max7bg, 14 December 2010 - 06:09 PM.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:09 PM

Darik's Boot & Nuke won't even touch it.

I find that very odd. DBAN is OS independent. It runs from a CD or floppy and loads to RAM. The OS is not even active.

There has to be another reason.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:22 PM

Have you tried Eraser? There is also a portable version: http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/eraser_portable

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:45 PM

I thought the same thing ThunderZ, DBan had always been my "go to" wiper when nothing else worked. I've also found out that if there is any corruption in the memory (RAM) DBan will also not operate since it is operating from there. I.E. bad sectors. Everytime I've tried to use it on a x64 bit OS it's never worked, with or without bad sectors.

max7bg formatting doesn't always do what it's told especially if there is a very nasty trojan/rootkit involved. One that cannot be detected let's say as I recently found out. The format completed and then a fresh install resulted in the whole cache of system files being rolled over directly into the (allegedly) formatted and fresh OS. Which is why I prefer and feel safer actually wiping a drive completely. RAM was removed as well before the OS was installed and then replaced before install. Only thing found prior to was a file listed as LBY6Y. Was unremovable with disk kill and other utilities that normally obliterate and remove files.

I'll have to give that one a try Animal, thank you.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:02 PM

oops. You are correct regarding bad memory giving DBAN problems.

I still prefer it though. Have found it to see partitions that for example Kill Disk does not.

Will have a look at Eraser as well. But I`m thinking it would require slaving the drive or placing it in an external enclosure to use.
Perhaps you or Animal can correct me on that.

#7 sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:25 PM

The external enclosure is no problem I have 4 available on standby at all times. I do a lot of side work for customers and they're an absolute necessity! Sometimes the only way to clean the drive and or capture the nasties is to remove the drive from the host system.
A friend of mine does the same type of work and he's run into the same thing in the last several days so there could be a new type of infection running around? I happened upon it using a2 when nothing else would work. (Malwarebytes, Spybot, Combofix, SuperAntiSpyware, Kaspersky, Dr. Web, Sophos were all used). His infection was included in a .zip file though where as mine was on a customers system in a downloaded child's game. Two files (one .dat and one .exe).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users