Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring Backup Email Files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chops

chops

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 03:01 PM

Thanks in advance for looking at this post. I have Windows XP Home and last week I had a problem and had to reinstall it. I backed up my data on a disc on d: drive. I have tried to restore the email messages from this disc back onto my Outlook Express 6 program. I did File<Import<Messages<Outlook 6<Import mail from an OE6 store directory<Browse< D:. I then got this Import Message: "No messages can be found in this folder or another application is running that has the required files opened. Please select another folder or try closing applications that may have files open."

The disc was in the drive and there were no other applications open. By the way, I hope I've posted in the right forum. Is Outlook Express 6 considered a utility?

I would really appreciate some help with this. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 10:46 PM

chops: I believe the issue is caused when trying to import the files from read-only device.(Your CD)
Outlook see the files as Read-only, and assumes that another application has the file open.

Copy the folder that contains your e-mail files over to your computer hard disk.
Right Click the folder, click Properties, deselect the Read-only attribute.

Try the import again.

I had the same issue with Outlook 2000.

Let me know if that helped.

Edited by Joshuacat, 04 December 2005 - 10:47 PM.

JC

#3 chops

chops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 03:57 PM

Thanks, Joshuacat. I tried that, but when I went to unclick the Read-only box, it was already unclicked. I tried to import again but I get the same message.

Any further suggestions?

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 08:38 PM

Please check that all of the files with a DBX extension also do not have the Read Only attribute on.

Again, right click the files with a dbx extension, click Properties, deselect the Read-only attribute.

Examples:

Inbox.dbx
Outbox.dbx
JC

#5 chops

chops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:31 PM

Joshuacat,

I am also an Ontarian. Grew up in TO. Live in Oregon now.

Anyway, all the boxes were deselected. Still no luck.

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:27 PM

chops:

Confirm that you are following the steps to import your messages as described in the following links below:

Restore Outlook Express Mail Folders from a Backup Copy

How to back up and recover Outlook Express data

I am also an Ontarian. Grew up in TO. Live in Oregon now.

Toronto, eh? I am not to far away... :thumbsup:

Take care,
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users