Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Installing Windows After Windows Repair

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jhayes

jhayes

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:46 PM

I woke up this morning to find the family computer turned off. It seems while my cousin was online the processor went to 100% usage and pretty much froze on him. So he had turned it off. When I went to load windows it was taking a minute and finally when I was prompted at the user screen it hung for another minute or so. When windows finally loaded I discovered my sound had gone out and and everything was greyed under the hardware settings. I had also recently had a problem with the machine shutting down due to some NT AUTHORITY Error and sub spooler app trying to connect. So I tried to install AVG to see if it was a worm. AVG cameback with an error because windows RPC wasn't enabled. So I went into services.msc to turn it on. Only the extended tab was goofed. So I select the standard tab and try to open the RPC properties to find that enabling was greyed. So at this point I decide I'm just going to wipe the entire thing. So I restart and set the bios to boot from xp off the cdrom. But instead of formating the disk I opt to see if windows repair would be of any help. After it checks the disk it restarts and up comes the windows installation screen. It does its thing until I get a fatal error. Error code 426. I do some googling and it's telling it has to do with the catroot2 file not being completely removed during installation. So at the error screen during installation I should open the dos prompt with shift+F10 and change the directory to C:\windows\system32 and then type rename catroot2 to catold. Though when I do I get "a duplicate file name was found and or the file cannot befound. So I try to delete the file altogether. That didn't work so I tried to delete the contents of the file as well and again nothing. I restarted to only get the same problem. So now it's just looping back to the error code 426 everytime I boot and there doesnt seem to be a way into windows.

System specs as follow:

AMD 3200+ Barton core
Asus A87NE deluxe
1GB DRR
Antec 350w atx
ATI 9800 pro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 03:44 PM

Can you boot to safe mode (F8)? Did AVG install, it just won't run?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 04:11 PM

Have you backed up your data? If so, you can always format and do a clean install.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 jhayes

jhayes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 04:14 PM

I've tried booting in safe mode but it tells me the windows setup cannot run in safe mode. So I'm guessing it's still trying to install. Which leads me back to my problem. I can't get inside windows because it's trying to install windows on a machine that already has windows installed. AVG did not install.

#5 jhayes

jhayes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 04:25 PM

I would like to format but when I tried to format from the cmd window it asked me if i wanted to disconnect the drive. I say yes and then it tells me the drive is being used by another process. Is there a way I can open the cmd prompt from start up?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 04:41 PM

XP will format for you if you boot from the CD. Here's some instructions on how to do it: http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/cleanxp.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 jhayes

jhayes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 04:58 PM

I'm aware xp will format if i boot from cd. Only instead of prompting me to format it. It takes me to the installation page.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 05:33 PM

Which screen is it in this link? : http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

Step 7 is where the format comes up. If you're entering further into the format than that - you're stuck in a previous format.

If you're stuck, get a Windows 98SE boot disk (make sure it includes the format command) and boot from it. (here's a good place for free boot disks: http://www.bootdisk.com/ ) I'd suggest their Windows 98SE download located here: http://www.mbhs.edu/~jaosborn/boot98se.exe

I'm presuming that you computer has the ability to boot directly from the CD-ROM drive - if not, don't do anything yet!

If you can boot from the CD-ROM drive, then go ahead and boot from the floppy. It'll end up at an A:\> prompt. Type in "format c:\" (without the quotes) and press Enter (if this gives you an error, type format c: and press Enter - my DOS skills are a bit rusty). This will format your drive (and remove all traces of the previous, aborted installation.

Then you'll be able to boot from your CD and do a clean install.

Edited by usasma, 04 December 2005 - 05:34 PM.

#9 jhayes

jhayes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 07:22 PM

I guess I needed to set all boot's to cd-rom and it finally took. But thank you for the help. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users