Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My AV and AM programs are not updating automatically

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CriticalMass048

CriticalMass048

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:45 PM

I recently was infected with a nasty bug and was helped through it by Sempai (thanks again!). He's going on vacation, so is unable to help me, and suggested I start a new topic.

At the time I was infected, I had Avast as my only protection. Upon suspicion that my computer was infected, I checked the version of Avast and found out that it had not been updated in several months, despite having checked the "Auto Update" box.

After Semp helped me with my infection, I got rid of Avast, and installed Online Armor, Sandboxie, Avira AntiVir, and MalwareByte's Anti-Malware. It's come to my attention, though, that AntiVir and MBAM are also not automatically updating as they should. I will usually get a Windows balloon telling me my AV program might be outdated, and sure enough, it is. MBAM has given me a warning balloon about an update being available only once in the few weeks I've had it, despite the fact that I've asked it to download updates automatically.

Before one automatically suggests it might be Online Armor's doing, remember that I had the same problem with Avast before OA was ever even installed.

I'm running Windows XP, which, as far as I know, updates iteself just fine, since on occasion when I shut down I will get the message that updates are being installed and it will shut down when done. These other programs, however, have me stumped. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:50 PM

Hi,

For MalwareBytes you should set the automatic updates in scheduler option

Attached File  Capture.JPG   67.84KB   2 downloads

Edited by max7bg, 14 December 2010 - 05:52 PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:08 PM

sempai closed your topic on 08 December 2010 for lack of feedback...meaning you did not respond for over two weeks since his previous reply.

From what you describe either you were reinfected or something was missed. Since he is going away, there is no sense reopening the topic. Besides its been several weeks and a new DDS log would be recommended. I suggest you start a new topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum following the same procedure you did the first time and post a fresh DDS log. Also provide a link to your previous thread where sempai had provided assistance.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users