Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DDR RAM problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gazjd

gazjd

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:30 PM

hi all,
i currently have 1gb ddr in my pc but i have 2 spare 512mb sticks. if i put both of them in (making the overall 2gb) pc starts, p4 logo comes up but it wont go anyfurther, if i put just one in (1.5gb) it starts and gets to the "starting windows" black scren but then restarts everytime?? usually on the starting windows screen you get the floating ball things lol but it restarts before they come up.

anyone know how i could fix this? or could it just be that the spare ram i have is dead? (never seen them working just spares from a friend who also cannot remember if they work)

thanks in advance
(INSERT SOMETHING FUNNY HERE<<<<<)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:25 PM

Are the two sticks the same specification, and that spec is suitable for the computer system?

Try fitting each of the spare sticks as the sole memory in the board. If it still has the same problems, then it would be fair to conclude the memory is either faulty or incompatible with the mainboard.

If the system operates correctly with the replacement RAM, there could be an incompatability with the existing memory, or occasionally a board will have specific requirements for a full memory complement.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:26 PM

Hello.

The one thing with having several sticks of memory in a computer is each stick has to be compatable with the other sticks.

This is one reason why people buy their RAM under the same brand name.

It has to be the same volatge.

It has to be DDR and NOT DDR2.

The RAN sticks you have may NOT be compatable with the 1 GB stick you have, of it may not be supported by your motherboard.

There is also as you stated above, the possiblilty the sticks are bad.

Without knowing more about the RAM sticks identity such as brand and type, there is no way to offer better assistance.

Sorry about that.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 gazjd

gazjd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:25 AM

thanks for the reply, ahh i thought you could mix and match RAM aslong as it was all the same size (512) i know the two spare are different brands (ones a posh looking gaming ram and the other does not have a name on it) but what i have in my system is swissbit.

i shall try them on thier own and see if it makes a difference.
Thanks for te help guys :)
(INSERT SOMETHING FUNNY HERE<<<<<)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users