Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winnt Registry missing or corrupt

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Techboy101

Techboy101

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:54 PM

Let me begin by declaring how unfamiliar I am to this OS. Though it's similar to other OS's I tend to work on I'm still having some issues. I've been called on to work on 5 POS systems, something I'm also unfamiliar with is the software and it's configuration. . .*sigh* There's no tech support from the manufacturer, because they're no longer in business, and it's roughly 15 year old software. But, I can worry about that after I get this system up and running. Initial diagnostics indicate the HDD is extremely fragmented, like 70% red fragmented. I ran ChkDsk and Defrag to take care of those issues. I also ran a HDD diagnostic utility on the drive and found it surprisingly without error. Out of 5 PC's there's 1 that's functioning normally and I want to copy it's registry to the other 4 identical PC's. I've searched the entire office for old boot disks but, of course, none of them still work. The systems don't have optical drives, just floppies that have years of dust, flour, soda pop, alcohol, and lord knows what else caked onto them. . .oh, yeah, ketchup. . .seriously. I used an xp machine to make a bootable DOS floppy, which works, however doesn't support xcopy or, seemingly, expand. I almost never use DOS, I'm not used to the commands, so I imagine it's error on my behalf that's causing the issues. . .well, any further issues. My question is two fold;

1) What are the correct commands to use?

2) Should I just attempt to clone the working drive to the rest? I would use sysprep, supposing it's an option with NT, however I'm certain the client doesn't have any of the original license keys.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Techboy101-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:27 PM

Have you downloaded the complete set of boot disks for your OS which I assume is XP?

Scroll down to Windows XP, and you will see that there is 6 disks that are needed.

Can we get some specs on these machines as far as motherboards so we can better assist you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users