Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A couple more questions gnawing on me regarding newly built PC

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 skymaster191

skymaster191

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:20 PM

My PC is built and I'm just waiting to get Windows 7 from Newegg. Hopefully these are my last two questions.

1. Can I just transfer the old 56K dial-up modem from my old 2000 Compaq Presario PC, to use in my new computer I built? Or should I just spend the $15-20 for a new modem to avoid any problems?

2. This new ASUS motherboard has F-PANEL pins to connect PC case cable connections for power, reset, and LED lights. A couple of the PC case cables have little rectangular plastic connectors with an S and a G. The motherboard user manual has a diagram to show what F-PANEL pins to plug the case cable connectors into. Common sense told me to plug the G into the corresoponding F-PANEL pins that says GROUND or -(Negative). Correct?

And what is the S labeled on two of the PC cable connectors? And why is the hard drive LED connector labled HDD IDE? My hard drive is SATA.

Buttons and LED lights seem to work ok when I turned on the computer. Just want to make sure.

Thanks,
Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:01 PM

Best bet is to read the the manual that should have come with the case in conjuction with the motherboard. Typically case cabling connectors for the front panel are labled with the corresponding values such as pwr, speaker, HDD, reset, pwr LED, and pwr/sleep LED. If your case contains front mounted USB ports they will connect to a different location. Most cases contain USB connectors that are one peice and plug in one way but some will contain seperate smaller connectors that need to be plugged in individually. Here you will have to reference both manuals since they are not always labeled the same. There should be no ground pin on the front panel connector.

Without knowing what case you used it is impossible to say what the designations my stand for but they should be referenced on some documentation you recieved with the case. As far as the HDD IDE thing it is probably due to the fact that (believe it or not) IDE is still in use and they probably have thousands of those connectors they still need to use.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users