Have tried the following (out of desperation rather than knowledge) without results:
- F8 and then selecting Logging/booting into safe mode
- F8 and then last known good config
- F11 and then selecting the hard discs (i think that's what they're called) realtek and sata something
- F2 to go to BIOS but didnt know what to do once I got there
- F3 for Recovery but nothing loaded, it just went straight into the startup loop
Info that may or may not be relevant
- Windows XP SP3, netbook
- no disc drive so using a cd is not an option
- Running Avast but got an infection that redirects my google results.
- Tried to clean up unsuccessfully, switched to AVG instead. The scan run fine the first time (couple of days ago) but did not remove all the infection (something about the file location not being accessible). I was running it the second time today when the restart got stuck in a loop
-(also have a firewall, malwarebytes and spybot)
- If restoring to factory settings means I can get rid of both the loop and the trojan/virus, I can live with that. I'd rather not lose my data but I think it's a price worth paying to get rid.
Edited by annalindsay, 14 December 2010 - 10:25 AM.