Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

optimize the AMD Core Unlocker Switch

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CHansohn

CHansohn

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:00 AM

about 6 months ago I built my cousin a computer with the main two parts being:

M4A87TD/USB3 Socket AM3 870 ATX AMD Motherboard
Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Processor Boxed

When I built it it had a dual core CPU. once I flipped the core unlocker switch it was a quad core. I want to know how many of the AMD CPU's does this unlocker switch effect? I mostly want to know since my dad wants a better computer (he got his from HP as a pre XP SP1 comp) and since he does programming I thought a more powerful multi-core CPU would be good and if I can do this it would be cheaper too.

CPU = Intel i7 950
Motherboard = Asus P6X58D
RAM = Corsair XMS3 DDR3 6X 2GB
Power Supply = Corsair AX1200W
Graphics Card = GTX 580 2-way SLI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:15 AM

This unlocker is motherboard based, not CPU based. All of the Phenom II's, with the exception of the X6's, are quad core with cores turned off. This is due to quality control, a CPU may not cut it as a quad, but it may as a dual or triple, so AMD locks down the cores. Whether or not the unlocking process works is random as some CPU's may not run stable with various cores re-enabled. The Athlon II's are, I think, true designs where the cores aren't deactivated.

3939.png

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:17 PM

I think the athlons are set up the same as the phenoms, I.E. locked cores. Though I cant imagine the point on a athlon-if your buying one of those high performance isnt your main goal.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:35 PM

The Athlon II X2's are based on a dual core design from the start, therefore, they have no cores to re-enable. However, the triple core Athlon II's are based off of quads that didn't quite make the cut.

3939.png

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:12 PM

Im sorry my bad you are correct DJB, I was thinking back to the kuma core Athlon 64 x2s. A few select athlon 64 x2s (such as the 7750) had this feature, and somehow I assumed the new athlon IIs were the same way. I stand corrected. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 LT Dan

LT Dan

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:28 AM

I don't know why but it seems a lot of software is not made to take advantage of multi core cpus. And even when it does it's only a small improvement we see on our end. Now chances are, if I'm Photoshoppen I'm not doing anything else cpu intensive. And if my Photoshoppen causes a glitch another core can handle the OS, monitor etc. it's odd, because I think a lot of times, we are led to believe quad core means quadruple the performance. And I read an article talking about Win 7 and the new "switching" which made me glaze over. Not THAT techy. :) (especially before 247 cups of java)
I'm sure others can relate to this: you buy a game and it runs smooth, graphics look great etc. you buy another game, and lets say it's not as graphics intensive, and yet it doesn't "perform" as good as the other game. My guess is, the same concept of software taking advantage or being made for certain hardware gpus is the same concept of OSs/programs and cpus. What got me interested in your question was it reminded me of dual channel memory vs triple channel memory. Like here, not much of an improvement. Some, but not much. And there's a price difference for sure. I build systems and what amazes me is the programmers. Folks who write the code for all the different hardware.
Elvis has left the buidling...

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:55 AM

that is sometimes true, but more and more programs these days are designed for multi GPU support, especially high end games and graphics software (and by high end graphics software Im not talking photo shop) When I upgraded from my dual core to a quad, I noticed a huge performance jump in most areas from mult tasking on, but the biggest one was in gaming-in bfbc2 for instance my frame rate at 1600 x 900 went from 25-30 fps to 75-85 fps. Just by upgrading the CPU. :D

picard5.jpg

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:37 PM

Whether or not a CPU can use SMP really depends on the application and the developer. Some developers take time to enable certain multicore functions, others do not. There can be a technical reason for this, especially if the development funds are limited, since coding a program to specifically take advantage of four or six cores can be daunting. I'm also curious as to the adoption of native 64-bit applications. I'm not talking about 64-bit compatible, but programs designed to actually use all that RAM and not run in WoW64.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users