Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I/O device error

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gemnard

gemnard

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:07 AM

Got this I/O device error whenever I plug in flash disk or camera..
This happened after reformatting my computer...
Tried reformatting again from windows xp professional sp2 then SP3..
Still got the message...

Tried pluggin the flashdisk,psp and camera to our neighbors laptop and it works..
but somehow in my desktop it won't work..and always got the device error..

Tried goin to device manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers > Primary IDE channel > properties > advance settings > Device 1 Transfer Mode PIO + IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers > secondary IDE channel > properties > advance settings > Device 1 Transfer Mode PIO and then restarted the computer...like what its stated where i googled it..
Still did not work..

the device status by the way when i plug the devices are working propely when i look at it at the device manager..

Tried googling the net for solutions...
but none of them work..
I hope you guys could help me..

thanks in advance..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:23 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Am I correct to say the devices you are having issues with are USB devices?

The settings you appear to be making changes to are related to disk drives and not USB related devices.

Check your USB settings in Device Manager located in the Control Panel.

See if there isn't an exclamation mark or some other error reflected here.

You can also check SYSTEM INFORMATION to see if there is anything under the Conflicts or sharing section related to your USB ports.

Also one last thing to try is connecting to a USB port that is directly connected to the motherboard.
There can be issues with some computers with the USB ports that are located on the towers front panel.
It can have to do with long wire runs to reach the case front panel or the wires may be a lower gauge that does not carry much current flow.
SO I suggest using a port located on the back of the computer that is directly soldered to the motherboard.

Please let me know the out come.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 gemnard

gemnard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:36 AM

thank you for your fast reply bruce...
Yes I am having problems with Usb devices...

I have checked the UsB settings in device manager...There aren't any exclamation mark or any errors..
Right clicked them then properties..All are stated that the device are working properly...

Also I have no usb port in my towers front panel so Im using the port directly connected with the motherboard..

"You can also check SYSTEM INFORMATION to see if there is anything under the Conflicts or sharing section related to your USB ports" <-- How do I do this..? I am at the system Info but I can't see conflicts or sharing tab..

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:33 PM

"You can also check SYSTEM INFORMATION to see if there is anything under the Conflicts or sharing section related to your USB ports" <-- How do I do this..? I am at the system Info but I can't see conflicts or sharing tab..

The system information window in XP can be located by doing the following START BUTTON- PROGRAMS- ACCESSORIES- SYSTEM TOOLS -SYSTEM INFORMATION

Expand Hardware Resources click Conflicts/Sharing allow the window to refresh and check to see if there is a shared resource involving USB and another device.

Post back what you see or post a screen shot, the copy and pasting of this text is not possible, which would other-wise make it easier for you.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 16 December 2010 - 01:36 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 gemnard

gemnard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:07 PM

This is from system info> conflicts/sharing

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF VIA CPU to AGP Controller
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF NVIDIA GeForce2 MX

IRQ 21 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 21 VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller

Memory Address 0xD8000000-0xDFFFFFFF VIA CPU to AGP Controller
Memory Address 0xD8000000-0xDFFFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce2 MX

Memory Address 0xE0000000-0xE1FFFFFF VIA CPU to AGP Controller
Memory Address 0xE0000000-0xE1FFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce2 MX

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF VIA CPU to AGP Controller
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF NVIDIA GeForce2 MX

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB VIA CPU to AGP Controller
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX

I don't know anything about this..lol
glad your here to help.. ^_^

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:41 AM

I checked your post above for conflicts/sharing there is no issues found here, even though the IRQ 21 is being used several times by USB this does not cause I/O errors or crashes. This is actually normal with NTFS files systems such as Windows XP on up to Windows 7, including Windows 2000.

Please try this fix below and let me know if it works.
(Note you may get an automated fix offered to you from this Microsoft web site, if it pops up, allow it to try to fix the problem. This is safe to run because it is from Microsofts support web site.)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323754

The above issue of USBHUB.SYS is addressed at the link above.

You may also try using a powered USB HUB, which has several USB ports in it, sometimes using powered USB HUBs resolve many I/O USB hard ware issues.

If this does not fix the problem, I need you to post the make and model number of the USB devices you are getting the I/O errors from.

I have done a Google search myself and came up with too many possible results to actually offer you a guaranteed solution.

I'll see if I can isolate the problem by addressing the hard ware you are attempting to connect to the USB ports.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 17 December 2010 - 12:46 AM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:56 AM

One more link a direct link to Microsofts FIX IT!

You'll have to work your way around this site on your own, but it does offer some pretty good solutions and some it fixes automatically.

Here is the link http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

Hope this helps.

By the way it makes it a bit tough to get the results you will get, because the Microsoft web site recognizes that I am running Windows 7, it it keeps offering me fixes for Windows 7 instead of XP. <_<

Bruce.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:06 AM

This FIX-IT! link may fix the issue.

Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows

Automatically diagnose and repair problems with devices when the device manager does not detect your hardware, audio, USB, or other devices, or when your devices are disabled or not working.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_problems/

Bruce.

#9 gemnard

gemnard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:58 AM

I can't click the run now button..
This is what it says..
We detected that you are running Windows XP or Windows Server 2003..
Unfortunately, this diagnostic solution is not available for your operating system at this time..

I've also tried to click All Problem Areas..Clicked Run Now beside the Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows..
and it downloaded mats_rundevices.exe..
opened the file..
It opened to Windows Microsoft Automated Troublehooting Service
then..
An error occured while troublehooting..
This troubleshooter doesn't apply to this computer..
Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Setting\Temp\MATS-Temp\CABvbtjypus.e4l
Error Code: 0x80004005

By the way heres one of the device that shows I/O error..
Ut 165 USB2FlashStorage USB Device..

#10 gemnard

gemnard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:58 AM

does the usb port somehow connected with the amount of power in my power supply.?
Coz my father changed our broken power supply 450W to a 300W..
Is this somehow connected with i/o error.?

Edited by gemnard, 21 December 2010 - 05:58 AM.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:09 AM

Well seriously 300 WATTS is not a very powerful power supply.

I am not 100% possitive here, but it could be the issue.

Let me see if I can get you to the windows XP solution center at Microsoft.

It is a little tougher for me to view certain Windows XP pages, because microsoft's web site detects that I am using Windows 7 and keeps offering me solutions for Windows 7. :blink:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-xp/default.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308041 (Of course this page here at my end, Microsoft is warning me to go to the Windows 7 solution center, LOL. :lol: That is because my OS is Windows 7)

Hopefully other than upgrading your PSU to one that is 700 WATTS or more, the links above will guide you to fixing your problem.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users