Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Folder is greater than 7 GB size

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Edcondi

Edcondi

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:33 AM

I had done a very recent repair installation of Windows XP Home Edition 1a by booting from CD. Then I installed Service Pack 3 and a multitude of updates, as prompted by Windows Update. The size of the Windows folder on my installation hard drive (C:/) has now ballooned to about 7 to 8 GB. Can any of these update files be removed safely? Thank you for your kind help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:40 AM

Well...I would examine the contents of any folder...before I ever thought about deleting anything in it.

One utility that will enable you to accurately see the size of that folder, WinDirStat .

My Windows folder is currently about 4GB and I have all updates and SP3 installed...I haven't deleted anything from this folder ever.

Louis

System manufacturer and model? What steps did you take to do this "repair install"?

Edited by hamluis, 14 December 2010 - 08:41 AM.

#3 fred3

fred3

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:16 PM

I checked a couple of situations:
One 10-year old XP system at SP3 and in constant heavy use runs over 10GB for the Windows folder.
XP Mode under Windows 7 at SP# runs 1.5GB for the Windows folder.

TreeSize is a helpful program for looking at these sizes and for trimming the important *big* files/folders in a cleanup.

Unless you can get some very experienced advice, I'd do a clean reinstall of Windows if this size issue is really important for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users