Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade Existing Pc, Or Buy New?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Venuscorp

Venuscorp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 12:27 PM

I bought my PC in 2001 from a custom builder. At the time, it was a screamer.

Asus A7M266 AMD 761 chipset
1Ghz AMD Athlon
512mb DDR ram
64mb GeForce2

I used it primarily for gaming. Then I got into Xbox for awhile, and the PC lanquished. Now I'm back to the PC and wanting to play some newer games. I'm wondering if I should upgrade my existing PC, or start with a new barebones system.

For reference, the game I am most interested in now is Counter Strike: Source. It recommends a 2.4Ghz P4 with half a gig of ram and 128mb graphics card. I would prefer to stick with AMD if possible. Can I do something like that with my current mobo, or am I out of luck? I notice a general lack of Socket A processors out there in the higher speeds.

Thanks for helping a noob.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 01:12 PM

To increase you proccessor to above 2.4 you will need a new system. Sorry
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 05:39 PM

If your looking to game you'll have to upgrade most of the computer. :thumbsup:

:flowers: Look on the bright side: Sticking with AMD is a good idea, they are superior in gaming at the moment, and if you haven't got anything against doing the upgrades yourself there are most likely parts in you computer you can cannibalize for the new one to save you some money.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 06:50 PM

This system is fine for surfing the web, word processing, etc. Since you'll have to replace most of it, why not dedicate the new one to gaming (and it's preformance) and use the old one for the rest of your stuff. Or, you could donate it to a worthy cause (I know a man in South Africa that was thrilled to tears because someone gave him an old Windows 98 computer!).

I'm working 2 systems right now - with a KVM switch. 2 taps on the Scroll Lock key and I'm on the Desktop of the other computer.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Venuscorp

Venuscorp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 05 December 2005 - 05:03 PM

Alright, thanks everyone. I'll drop back in when I decide what to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users