Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hipscc_x64 and Error 1706

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 C_Smith10

C_Smith10

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:51 PM

This may be a bit long but to accurately state my problem, I need to start at the beginning. My OS is Vista 64 bit and everything was working fine until I installed Norton's Antivirus 2011 on Friday night. First problem was that some of the updates would not install so the instructions for that told me to use Norton's removal tool and then reinstall NAV2011 following the instructions. I did this and finally the updates worked. Then I tried to use Norton's PC Checkup. I had to download a file to run the tool. The file would never download all the way and would hang at 99%. I used the removal tool, removed NAV2011 again and then the file completed its download. I ran the tool and found a couple trojans and NAV2011 had found a few also. These were removed. I ran Panda Scan 2.0 I believe it is and Windows Live OneCare which found different trojans. NAV2011 was not installed while I was running the other programs. Only a few files had these trojans in them, none were in the registry or memory. My son had downloaded the files and I deleted them. I reinstalled NAV2011. I tried to download ITunes 10 and could not download it either. It would hang at 99% too and not download. I decided not to keep NAV2011 on my PC so once again removed it using the Norton's Removal Tool. At this time I am without virus protection as my year's free protection that I got with my new PC was over with. I decided to download what was free from my service provider. It is CA Security Center. I had problems with this to begin with, and it told me to uninstall Malwarebytes and I did. After still having problems with it not installing, I removed Zone Alarm and the tools I had downloaded to run the Panda scan and the NAV PC Checkup. Finally, CA installed but a window began to pop up that looked like an installation type window. It was a window that had HIPSCC_x64 at the top and it kept acting as if it was installing and then it would say it could not install. After that a different window would open and I would get error 1706 that would say "No valid source could be found for AMRT. Windows installer cannot continue" The HIPSCC window would pop up again after I would click cancel and then it would go through all this again, over and over. I do not know what to do from here. I started my PC up this afternoon after work and the HIPSCC window started again. I kept clicking cancel and for once, it has not popped back up since. But I am not doing anything online except for this so that may be why. I just want my PC back to normal and I dont know what steps to take next. I thought of doing system restore back about a week ago, but did not know what that might do since so much has been deleted (trojans, tracking cookies, NAV2011, Zone Alarm, etc) I didn't know how much of this would be back on my PC after doing a restore. One thing that was mentioned in the CA help files was to download the latest Windows Installer. I went to the Microsoft site and did this and it didn't help. Any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users