Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot, constantly beeps

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tracieemra72

tracieemra72

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:42 PM

First of all it is a Powerspec 1405 with the M7VIG-400 pro motherboard. AMD Semphron processor....PSU does have power, all fans work....lights on the front of the pc come on then go off. Computer has been fine till today. I recieved a blue screen but did not catch anything that it said. Thecomputer shut off upon restarting it beeped kinda a long beep (1 second maybe) and 2 short beeps followed by constant beeping and the beeping does not stop until you pull the plug or hold in the power button. I have no clue what is causing this. I don't know a whole lot about this kind of computer but I have no video at all. Nothing comes up on the monitor, it stays black. The computer doesn't even get to the bios screen before it loads windows....the video is integrated on the motherboard. I have tried to find beep codes for this computer but no luck. It is the same as I bought it....It was purchased from MicroCenter in Ohio....I have taken out the CMOS battery and held the power button but same thing. The battery came with the computer 4 years ago. However I had an extra one here and tried it and it still does the same thing. Any suggestions ?? I did a search for a picture of the motherboard and the ones on the web are like mine but the only difference between the M7VIG-400 and the M7VIG-400 Pro from what I can see is where the CMOS battery is located. I have the pro version and the CMOS battery is located in a different spot than the pictures on the web show.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:06 AM

I can't seem to find them either, even on Biostars site (it is a biostar motherboard) However, first thing I would try is messing with the memory. Remove the memory modules, and try them one at a time (make sure that before touching any components you ground yourself by touching a metal part of the case and not moving your feet) And see if that helps.

Also, how long did you remove the CMOS battery? some of them have to be removed for some time to reset the CMOS. For future reference, that motherboard does have a jumper that will auto reset the CMOS for you.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:47 AM

Here is the motherboard: M7VIG-400 Pro

AWARD Phoenix BIOS Beep Codes

Edited by cryptodan, 14 December 2010 - 06:28 AM.

#4 tracieemra72

tracieemra72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:27 AM

I removed the CMOS battery for about 7-8 hrs. What would I have to do to auto reset the CMOS? Remove the jumper and replace it back in the same spot?
I already have checked both sticks of memory and reseated them individually in both slots and still the same thing. The beep at power on is extremely fast, 1 beep followed by 2 short beeps then a pause for a couple seconds then constant beeping which does not stop on its own. I have to hold the power button in till it shuts off. During this whole time I have no video to the monitor. From what I researched it seems to be giving me a beep code for memory/video.

#5 Trezax

Trezax

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:24 PM

Maybe your RAM is damaged, try to install another one.

#6 tracieemra72

tracieemra72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:36 PM

I have tried that already. same thing

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:58 PM

I think your RAM slots are bad, and if thats the case you need to replace the motherboard.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:45 PM

I agree with dan here-everything im seeing suggests bad motherboard, most likely RAM slots. Looks like its time for a upgrade.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#9 tracieemra72

tracieemra72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:24 PM

Ok I will replace the motherboard....however can someone tell me what I can replace this one with. They do not make this one anymore. What would be one that is compatible with the M7VIG-400 ?

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:08 AM

If you plan on reusing your current CPU/memory, and such you will have to find a used motherboard off of someplace like ebay or pricewatch.com. That is a socket A motherboard, and it is no longer made. Something like this should work. You may be better off though just saving up and investing in a new computer in my opinion, but the decision is up to you, Ive found them on ebay from like 12 dollars on up, but this is about the average price for a micro ATX motherboard that is that socket type.

picard5.jpg

#11 tracieemra72

tracieemra72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:37 PM

Thanks by the time I invest money back into it I'd probably be better off getting a new one. Thanks for all your help !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users