Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop freezes often

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LOLSaur

LOLSaur

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:39 PM

There is a problem with my Vaio Laptop. It is 6 years old and I am about done with its constant freezing problem. The problem is, I can never access a program of any type(ex because it takes a while to load up. Sometimes it works but the other times it doesn't. I check the loading symbol and it blinks every second. I waited 10 minutes one time and nothing happened! This is what happens in a timeline form.

30 seconds after startup= Loading is done and desktop is shown
1 minute after startup= Popup Balloon says that I need to update stuff (doesn't work because it isn't updating. I tried many times to update it but it didn't work)
1 minute 5 seconds after startup= Computer freezes after I try to open Mozilla Firefox.
1 minute 10 seconds after startup= Restarts computer by unpluging the charger slot.
REPEAT (if works then I will continue on with my day)

What I have done to the Popup Balloon at startup:
Close it.
Click it.
Ignore it and let it go away. (All with the same results. It freezes)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:40 PM

Please try and boot into safe mode and see if you have the same issues.

Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard, when the boot menu appears select safe mode.

#3 jwjw2010

jwjw2010

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:59 PM

Try the safe mode like the other person mentioned. How much memory do you have (6 year old laptop!)? Having 512M might be bearable, but that depends on what is running. I won't work on anything that has under 1G. Do you still have the same issues without the network connection? What is trying to update?

#4 fred3

fred3

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:57 PM

This sounds very much like a "parasite" i.e. Virus, Trojan, etc. I'd be looking to get it cleaned out. That's because it sounds like the freezing isn't random. Check out one of the appropriate forums for doing that.

Otherwise, an overheated cpu can cause computers to freeze up - and this will happen randomly and vary according to the room temperature. Dust buildup on the cpu heatsink, inoperative or very slow fan, etc.

fred3

#5 LOLSaur

LOLSaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:15 PM

Please try and boot into safe mode and see if you have the same issues.

Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard, when the boot menu appears select safe mode.

Thanks for the tip, I done that and ran Malware Anti-Bytes to check whats going on.

#6 LOLSaur

LOLSaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:18 PM

Try the safe mode like the other person mentioned. How much memory do you have (6 year old laptop!)? Having 512M might be bearable, but that depends on what is running. I won't work on anything that has under 1G. Do you still have the same issues without the network connection? What is trying to update?

I forgot.... I don't plan to check anyway. But yeah its 6 years old and has about I don't know.... probably 50-100 GB or more...

This sounds very much like a "parasite" i.e. Virus, Trojan, etc. I'd be looking to get it cleaned out. That's because it sounds like the freezing isn't random. Check out one of the appropriate forums for doing that.

Otherwise, an overheated cpu can cause computers to freeze up - and this will happen randomly and vary according to the room temperature. Dust buildup on the cpu heatsink, inoperative or very slow fan, etc.

fred3

Thanks, after I booted into safe-mode and found a Trojan! And the fan isn't much of a problem as we bought a fan that goes under your laptop fan to help cool down.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:16 AM

When was the last time that you cleaned it out?

#8 LOLSaur

LOLSaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:17 PM

When was the last time that you cleaned it out?

Just last night. It's working again.

#9 LOLSaur

LOLSaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:27 AM

Guys I face a new problem with my laptop. It's happening again. This time MalwareBytes didn't catch it with its quick scan. I seem to notice that Microsoft Security Essentials isn't turned on everytime I tried to log on. The MalwareBytes module isn't functioning after a few clicks, and I found a file called Hotfix.exe, it isn't the Thinkpoint one but another one. It's the MSSD (or something like that) one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users