Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Decoder Error

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Trevor Howe

Trevor Howe

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:39 PM

I went to play a DVD today on my computer and I got an error about the decoder. This has never happened before. I can still play CD's fine, it seems to only be DVDs. I have a Dell XPS 400 running on Windows XP.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:07 PM

Uninstall, then reinstall whatever program you are using.

It helps if we have an idea what the error message contents are.

Louis

#3 Trevor Howe

Trevor Howe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:47 PM

I'm not sure how to do that...not even sure what decoder I was using. It just came with the computer and worked fine, now it suddenly stopped working.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:41 PM

Could this be a codec problem? It would be helpful if you could tell Louis what DVD program you are running like Nero or something else.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:51 PM

What program is open...when you watch these videos?

Louis

#6 Trevor Howe

Trevor Howe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:57 AM

I've tried all m programs (Media Center, Media Player, KMPlayer) and they all aren't working anymore when they all played DVD's fine two weeks ago.

As for the program, I have no idea what program it is. Whatever the default Dell decoder was in 2005, that's the one I had. I didn't install anything special

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:13 PM

When you play a video...or a music CD...what program name is reflected at the top of the screen?

Louis

#8 Trevor Howe

Trevor Howe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:24 PM

Hey, sorry for the delayed response, went away for the Holidays

ANyway, kinda good news, I only get the error (below) in Windows Media Center. I can play DVD's fine with the KMPlayer.

"Decoder Error, The video decoder has either malfunctioned or is not installed. Please restart Media Center and / or the computer"

So now I know that the drive and the decoder are still working, the problem is with WIndows Media Player. Any suggestions?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:42 PM

Uninstall, reinstall...update to WMP 11...install all pertinent critical updates for WMP.

Me...I would download/install a codec pack if WMP doesn't straighten up. There is always the possibility of damage somewhere in WMP or XP that impacts functionality.

Louis

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:58 PM

I recommend the following: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ it is so much better then any other player out there.

#11 Trevor Howe

Trevor Howe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:13 PM

After thinking about it, I'll just uninstall WIndows Media Center...don't really need it...(not Windows Media Player..)

And @ cryptodan
VLC is a decent player, but definatly not the best. THe KMPLayer, for example, is a better player.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:36 PM

The KMPlayer is not the best if it comes with a download manager. The VLC comes with just a file and no added baggage such as wanting to install Norton Internet Security 2011. So therefore in my professional opinion any application that uses a download manager or has added possibly software installs doesn't constitute the best.

#13 Trevor Howe

Trevor Howe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:49 PM

For my uses, .mkv files, HD, subtitles, etc., KMP is a better player. I have used both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users