Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC powers off at random.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ughboots

Ughboots

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:34 PM

Hello,

I'm using Windows 7 (32 bit) on a reasonably new PC (about 4-6 months), and when using slightly more intensive applications, it likes to switch itself off. During normal operation of windows, movies and some video games it works, but using other (games, and once photoshop) things it switches off completely - blank screen, no more response from the PC. When it happens, I get no error messages or bleeps or warning, it just flicks off. I've had a bit of a muck around in the bios to look for some temperature settings, but found none - and other than that, haven't taken any steps, being at a loss as to where to start.

Any help would be much appreciated, even if so I just know which bit needs to be replaced.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AleX

AleX

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:38 PM

You should call an electrician.
I think that you have problem with electricity in that room.

Maybe it's because of the temperature, or because of the dust.

#3 bradumd

bradumd

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:15 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer :thumbsup:

It appears that you may have either an overheating issue, or a power supply that is not strong enough.

Do you mind posting more specifications about your computer including your powersupply, or you can just follow the instructions here and post a speccy screenshot.

Also, can you please download Speedfan. Keep the program running, and when you're using programs that cause the issue, keep a close eye on the temperature.

#4 Ughboots

Ughboots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:42 PM

Speccy shot: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/2jamK7KIHEtKITrQkepJW79

A quick test with Speedfan reveals that the temperature climbs fairly steadily. It dropped to 54 (Core) shortly after that Speccy shot, but then began to clamber toward 64 again - I shut down the programs prior to that being able to get much hotter. As soon as I quit, it dropped by nearly 5 degrees back to 59.

Edited by Ughboots, 13 December 2010 - 10:42 PM.

#5 bradumd

bradumd

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:02 PM

Were you having the same issues when the computer was brand new?

Also, do you mind telling me how many watts your power supply is if you know it.

It appears to me like it could possibly be an overheating issue. 54 Degrees Celsius is a pretty high idle temperature, and I can only imagine how hot it gets after applying more stress for an extended period of time.

Even after 4-6 months a considerable amount of dust can build up on your hardware and in your fans/coolers. I would suggest to thoroughly clean the dust using necessary precautions to ensure you do not damage your hardware. After that, try checking your temperatures again.

I also noticed something else. According to the speccy screenshot you have your Windows firewall, antivirus, and defender all turned off. Was this of your own choice?

Edited by bradumd, 13 December 2010 - 11:11 PM.

#6 Ughboots

Ughboots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:25 PM

Yes, ish, to the issues when it was new. The problem first surfaced with Starcraft 2. 650W power supply.

They're actually turned on. Windows defender is off, but the windows firewall and microsoft security essentials are very much on.

#7 Ughboots

Ughboots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:23 AM

Boy, do I feel dopey. After cracking open the fan and cleaning out some matted dust, my PC is running at 47 or so on some fairly non-intensive applications, but still applications that have shut it down. Looks like heat was the issue, although I suppose I'll have to test by running some bigger bits.

Thanks very much for your help, all.

#8 bradumd

bradumd

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:48 PM

Glad to hear :thumbsup:

Update us whenever possible

#9 AleX

AleX

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:32 PM

I knew the overheating was problem and dust caused it.

Dust and dirt can cause severe decreases in the performance of your computer, and in a worst case scenario, cause a literal meltdown of key, delicate components. What follows are some general guidelines for keeping things clean and tidy.

topic Basic Maintenance.

Edited by AleX, 15 December 2010 - 12:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users