Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google redirect...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rymd

rymd

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:02 PM

I've been hit with it. What should I do now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AleX

AleX

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:35 PM

So, you are saying that you think your computer's got infected by a google redirect virus?

#3 rymd

rymd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:07 PM

Yes, I am. It's really annoying... Malwarebytes, even after updating today still could not get rid of it. I'm not only getting redirected in google search results, but I'm getting occasional pop-ups of either google searches of obscure URLs (so that the google search displays results of people talking about the same thing) and things like epicarcade, $100 walmart gift card, etc.

also, I'm running vista and TDSSKiller found nothing.

Edited by rymd, 13 December 2010 - 10:09 PM.

#4 Casper7

Casper7

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:23 AM

I have the exact same problem. Google search results redirect and I even get the same popup you described.

Unique thing I found: Some google search results redirect to other pages, especially search results that include the scam/virus/fix etc. But when I search for something more basic, the search results in google work fine. Smart virus?

During my search for solving the problem I came across the TDSSKiller as well, ran it, and found nothing. Also ran Malwarebytes and found nothing.

I did find information that seems to relate to "wdmaud" file being the problem/virus. The correct file is supposedly the "mdmaud" file in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers folder and is 82KB. The problem/virus is the "wdmaud" in the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder and is 23KB.

I'll be watching this thread closely, and hope someone can help us and many others.

#5 rymd

rymd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:41 PM

This is a very interesting virus... it contains symptoms of older redirect viruses that are killable with malwarebytes, sas, s&d, etc, but also does newer strange stuff such as create popups of google searches of obscure URLs. It's mostly harmless too, and the popups and redirected searches, I've found, come and go at random times intervals. It's almost as if it was trying to get attention o.O. It also affects Mac OS Xs...
and it suddenly appeared out of nowhere. I must have gotten it from an infected ad or something, because I'm pretty careful about suspicious sites and don't download what I shouldn't.

Edited by rymd, 14 December 2010 - 03:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users