Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

google chrome downloads/installs without my permission

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ranger72

ranger72

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:16 PM

Hi There folks!

Today I downloaded/installed the latest version of CCleaner from the FileHippo download site. First I did the download and then I went to Add/Remove programs in my Control Panel and uninstalled the older version. Then I re-opened my FireFox Browser and went to "Tools" and then "Downloads" and finished installing CCleaner. It seemed to take an unusually long time for the less than 3Mb installation to take place.

When I finished up and went back to my desktop I was confounded to see the Google Chrome (shortcut) Icon upon my desktop.I then went to "Add and Control Programs" and found Google Chrome had made itself at home on my computer without my knowledge or permission and not only that it had made itself the Default browser on my computer. The download/install of Chrome was 109Mbs. I guess thats what took so long to install.

Has this happened to anyone else? Could it have been bundled with the CCleaner download from Filehippo?
This computer is running WIN XP HOME Edition Service pack 3. Latest version of Firefox is the default browser. I am using the windows firewall along with AVG Anti-Virus 2011 Pro edition and several other well known anti-spyware/Malware software apps.

Nothing like this has happened to me before. Does anyone have any ideas or has this happened to any other members?

Thank you very much!
ranger72

So Much To Learn; So Little Time To Learn It In!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:04 PM

It's very common for toolbars etc. to come bundled with downloaded programs. My experience is there is usually an opt out screen where you can decline the item by unchecking a box. Otherwise you're getting it. So you probably need to pay better attention when downloading anything. Is it sneaky? Sure but Google is paying Piriform a lot of $$$$$ to have Chrome bundled with CCleaner. This is how a lot of users wind up with 27 toolbars.

#3 ranger72

ranger72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:37 PM

Hi There frankp316

Thank you for the reply! I appreciate the time you invested in answering my question! I am not a computer professional but I have been using computers in business and at home since the very early 8o's. I am well aware of the practice of bundling extraneous software with the radio boxes to be unchecked if you don't opt for the secondary software.

This was not the case in this particular situation. There was no check mark to uncheck there was no option for the google chrome download. I thought about this before creating this thread and went back to both sites and tried to re-create the situation just in case I had a brain fart while updating CCleaner.

I have been using CCleaner for years and regularly check for updates. In updating CC I click on the update link in the actual software which then takes me to the "Piriform" website. there are two links to download CCleaner from on the piriform site. One is a link to piriform downloads and the other is a link to filehippo. Go here: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download and see for yourself. Here is the link to filehippo: http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner and for the life of me I can't see or find any radio box option for bundling chrome with either website.

Additionally, I don't have google earth on this machine nor is there a google updater software on this machine. However, Google search is my homepage on this machine and has been for years. This has never happened before and is quite the conundrum to me.

Thanks very much for your response but I'm fairly sure that we need to look elsewhere for a resolution to this problem.

ranger72 :busy:

Edited by ranger72, 13 December 2010 - 07:38 PM.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:38 AM

You usually get the opt out box during the download process. It's easy to overlook it. I haven't updated CCleaner lately so I don't know if they give you an opt out box or not. They should but there are indications that some companies aren't doing that. And I already use Chrome so it may not apply.

#5 clover65

clover65

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:22 AM

same thing happened to me a few nights ago when i updated Ccleaner. As you say, its the first time it has happened, and i am very careful about unticking any extras which programs like to install. This time there was nothing to untick about installing Chrome.

#6 ranger72

ranger72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:29 AM

Thank you for the response clover65

Glad to hear it has happened to someone else; I was beginning to think I was crazy :crazy:

Welcome to the forums!

Edited by ranger72, 18 December 2010 - 09:30 AM.

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:39 PM

I always download the slim version of Ccleaner, Defraggler, etc. to avoid having to opt out of the toolbar.

If you aren't watching when installing Avast anti-virus, it will add Chrome for you, as well.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#8 ranger72

ranger72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:39 AM

keyboardNinja Thank you for the tip.

Does anyone know when Piriform started bundling chrome with its own downloads?

As I wrote in the beginning of this thread I have been using CCleaner for a very long time and this has never happened before. I usually check that site for CC updates once every 2-3 months and this is the first time that this happened to me. I guess what infuriates me is that I wasn't offered the option of accepting/rejecting the chrome download and suddenly the shortcut was on my desktop and chrome had been installed. I had no choice; it was just there!

My normal procedure is to click on updates in the piriform website which then brings me to FileHippo for the download. I don't really know on which site I actually was given the chrome download.

Unlike some other people I was able to uninstall chrome without substantially changing my registry to the point where there were Operating system problems. But many people have complained that uninstalling the unwanted browser has done a job on their computers.

Thanks again,

ranger72

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:42 PM

Does anyone know when Piriform started bundling chrome with its own downloads?

No idea. I didn't know they did before I read your thread.

Have you ever tried Chrome? It's actually a good browser. Still relatively young, but it's come a long way since 2008.

#10 ranger72

ranger72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:12 PM

Some time ago I was lurking in the chrome forums and read too many negative comments. I was contemplating trying "chrome" out but after reading what I felt was too many negative comments I thought I'd wait a while longer and try it when it became a bit more stable.

Then this thing happened and it has Peed me off. However; I must say that out of fairness to "chrome" I think I will attempt to re-create what happened back on the 13th of this month. I can't blame "chrome' for something either "Piriform" or "Filehippo" did.

I have been a FireFox advocate for quite some time and only use "Internet Explorer" when I absolutely need to.

#11 ranger72

ranger72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:11 PM

It's very common for toolbars etc. to come bundled with downloaded programs. My experience is there is usually an opt out screen where you can decline the item by unchecking a box. Otherwise you're getting it. So you probably need to pay better attention when downloading anything. Is it sneaky? Sure but Google is paying Piriform a lot of $$ to have Chrome bundled with CCleaner. This is how a lot of users wind up with 27 toolbars.

Well Gentlemen! Today I returned to the "Piriform" website to see if I could re-create the questionable download of "Chrome" without my permission or knowledge.:busy:

I found that during the intended update of CCleaner there is an opportunity to download Chrome AND there is an opportunity to Opt out as well. On that auspicious occasion I either had my head up my "Donkey" or had too many adult beverages.:woot:

Please consider this thread closed and I apologize for wasting everyone's time.

ranger72 :wacko:

#12 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:37 PM

Just to show you that all these companies are doing this and you really have to pay attention when you're downloading anything, I was just downloading the new version of Adobe Shockwave and for the first time ever they are trying to foist Norton on us. I haven't seen that before from Adobe. Of course I passed. I don't need Norton anything.

#13 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:28 PM

I found that during the intended update of CCleaner there is an opportunity to download Chrome AND there is an opportunity to Opt out as well. On that auspicious occasion I either had my head up my "Donkey" or had too many adult beverages.:woot:

:hysterical:

Just to show you that all these companies are doing this and you really have to pay attention when you're downloading anything, I was just downloading the new version of Adobe Shockwave and for the first time ever they are trying to foist Norton on us. I haven't seen that before from Adobe. Of course I passed. I don't need Norton anything.

Actually, a free Norton scan has been bundled with Shockwave for a while now. It is somewhat annoying to have to decline Norton everytime I install it on a computer at work. I'll get over it somehow. :lmao:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users