Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

emachine EL1352 Video

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BNDAZ

BNDAZ

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:35 PM

Buddy has an e machine EL1352 he wants to run dual monitors on.
Emachine live chat stated that the unit has a PCI Express x16 slot BUT
"You will have to contact a local technician to know about the type of card to be used as this is a small tower and a normal video card will not fit into it."

This is not for gaming, SUPER duper graphics isnt important, decent is fine, both monitors have DVI-D along with VGA

What form factor does he need and does anyone have a suggestion on low cost card ?
The power supply on the unit is 220, is that going to be an issue?

Thanks

Also, i have looked at the machine yet, is there a trick to opening these units like some of the old dells or is it pretty simple?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:27 PM

You will likely need a low profile card such as this And that power supply is likely a bit weak for modern cards-something along the lines of this should, in theory work, however I cant find any exact dimensions of that case to be 100% certain if that PSU will fit or not.

Edited by the_patriot09, 13 December 2010 - 07:52 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:37 PM

thanks, the link to the card did not work though...

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:52 PM

try it now

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:07 AM

ok, that worked, i measured the "slot" and its just about 3 inches wide. It appears i can change the faceplate to accommodate that width, BUT the whole point of this is so that the user can run dual monitors. It appears by changing the plate you eliminate the VGA port.
SO i wonder, will the onboard vga port still be usable beings this is a PCI card?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:17 PM

Dimensions : 10.4" H x 3.9" W x 14.6" D are the dimensions, http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=EL1352-01e .

I think I have one of these...I took it apart to see what might be possible regarding replacement of parts.

I suggest that you remove the exterior case and take a look, if not already done. These systems are not made for upgrading/replacemeent, IMO.

I don't see any expansion slots listed in the specs nor on the motherboard I have.

Louis

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:49 PM

ok, that worked, i measured the "slot" and its just about 3 inches wide. It appears i can change the faceplate to accommodate that width, BUT the whole point of this is so that the user can run dual monitors. It appears by changing the plate you eliminate the VGA port.
SO i wonder, will the onboard vga port still be usable beings this is a PCI card?

with low profile cards, the VGA port is normaly put in in a seperate bracket in another slot. Even if that were not so, all you would need is a DVI to HDMI adaptor and you would still have dual monitor support.

picard5.jpg

#8 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:00 PM

with low profile cards, the VGA port is normaly put in in a seperate bracket in another slot. Even if that were not so, all you would need is a DVI to HDMI adaptor and you would still have dual monitor support.

AHHHH, that makes sense now regarding the low profile bracket(s). Thank much for the help. I had determined we could use the adapter and will be the best way for video quality i would think.
Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users