Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Device Order Changing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 awg1011

awg1011

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 10:14 AM

Every once in a while the boot device order will change all by itself, my normal order is 1) primary CD-ROM, 2) floppy, 3) primary harddrive, and 4) IBA 4.1.08 Slot 0140. Every time it changes, the 3rd and 4th devices are switched which causes a media test failure error message during startup, sorry I don't remember the exact message, but it something to the effect of media test failure and tells me to make sure the media is inserted properly and to check all cables and to re try it, then it will boot XP off the harddrive like it should.

Everytime this has happened, the PC suddenly will shut off (not shutdown but go off as though power was cut) and restart (on its own). This last time when it restarted xp wouldn't boot after the media test failure message, nothing happened, then when trying to access the BIOS, it would hang on the screen that normally flashes buy that says to press F2 for BIOS, and wouldn't go in to the BIOS. Also this last time there was a bunch of clicking noise about a minuter before it went blank.

After several attempts of turning off and on the PC, I was finally able to get in to the BOIS and put the boot order back and it's now booting properly. I did two diffrent virus scanns, AVG and trend micro's online scan, and did a scan for spyware, everything came up clean.

Could this be a sign that the harddrive or motherboard is failing, or could my virus or spyware scans be missing something? (When we first bought the PC we had the harddrive fail with in a week then again 10 months later)

Also, what is the IBA 4.1.08 Slot 0140 boot device? I'm guessing it may have to do with the USBs.

The PC is about 2 years old, it's a Gateway with 2.5 GHZ P4, 512 RAM, 80 GB primary hd and 60 GB secondary hd (both Maxtors diamond max plus and 1 year old), the mother board is intel with AMI BIOS version SR84511A.15A.0014.P02. If you need more info let me know.

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 04 December 2005 - 10:23 AM

Yes :thumbsup:

Seriously tho', whatever it is, it's catastrophic. Most problems of this sort (that I've seen) are driver corruption issues. But there's also a significant part that are hardware failures.

Have you added/replaced/removed any hardware/software/drivers from the system? (especially before or at the time of the errors/crashes?). Take a deep breath, grab a beer (or your beverage of choice), sit down and think about it for a while. Often what will happen is that there'll be something that sticks in your mind (and may not even seem related) that can help out immensely!

Then, go into your Event Viewer (Start...Control Panel...Administrative Tools...Event Viewer). There are 3 categories in Event Viewer - Applications, Security, and System - your error is most likely in the System log.

Once you find the error(s) associated with the crash (usually time stamped at about the time the crash happened) - just right click on it and select "Properties". The text of this error message will be shown, and you can copy it here. Of particular significance are the errors with the format of 0x0000007a (the last 2 figures generally change, there's always a bunch of 0's, and there usually is an x after the first zero)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 awg1011

awg1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for the reply. I forgot mentioned that I'm running XP home SP2.

It's been since October that I've installed any software (camera software), around that same time I removed some video editing software. Other than that, there's been a few player plugin updates, no driver or hardware updates.

In the event viewer, there are no errors logged around the time of the crash, the closest error is about 30 minutes prior and they are:

"The nVidia WDM Video Capture (universal) service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. "

And this one at the same time:

"The DC-T23, WDM Video Capture service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. "

Both have event ID 7000

About 12 hours after the crash and about 30 minutes after starting the PC this morning was this one with an event ID 9:

"The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period."

The video capture errors show up every day back to October, we don't even use the video capture. It must be related to the camera software I installed in October.

The device error shows up 2 other times and each time is 30 minutes after starting the PC.

When it crashes, there's no warning, everything just goes blank then restarts.

First chance I get, I'm going to back up everything important.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 04:25 PM

Yes - back it up now!

This could be several things. But, I'm concerned about this error: "The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period."

This means that the system isn't reading your IDE drive (which I presume is your primary drive). This can be catastrophic.

Priorities:
1) Backup your important stuff
2) Check SMART status of the drive (Speedfan can do this. It's a free utility available here: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php )
3) Check the cables on the drive to see if they're properly seated, kinked, etc) Maybe even try a new cable.
4) If the cable and the hard drive check out OK, then it's "probably" the controller on your motherboard. Try updating your motherboard drivers.
5) This is where I usually say "buy a new motherboard" - but I'm not gonna say it here. That's because there's something that just doesn't say "new mobo" in here, but I can't put my finger on it!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 awg1011

awg1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 08:50 PM

Thanks John,

I've started backing stuff up and downloaded speedfan. Ill try to keep you posted on the results, I'm really busy and pressed for time right now, but I'll try to do this as quickly as possible.

Thanks again
-awg

edit: Ok, I backed everything up and installed speedfan and I'm running it now and the SMART status that both drives are fine, fitness and performance are as high as they can go.

Now what?

Edited by awg1011, 04 December 2005 - 11:36 PM.

#6 awg1011

awg1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:48 PM

Ok, I've downloaded and installed SpeedFan, I've looked at the SMART tab, but I'm not sure what to look ator look for. A bunch of things say ok by them and the values seem to be the same or higher than the "worst" numbers. I'm also not sure where the temps for the drives should be, they seem to run 135f for the primary and 125f for secondary. Is this ok?

I've looked at the ide cable, it's plug is seated all the way, I also made sure that the cooling fan (CPU) wasn't plugged up.

I look for motherboard drivers at intel (it's an intel sr84511a mb) and found drivers for diffrent parts (video, sound, etc.) of the mb but not for the board itself. Gateway had a driver, but it was the same as it already has.

If the problem is the motherboard, can it damage the harddrives? I would really like to wait till after the holidays, as time and money is short right now.

To keep my original post a bit shorter, I didn't add this before, the harddrive that failed a year ago, when it first went I was able to format it and reinstall XP and it lasted another week, I then put it in to an old 450mhz PC and installed Linux on it, and it has been working fine since then. When it failed in this PC, it wasn't being detected during boot up.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:43 PM

It's far more common for a hard drive to fail than it is for a motherboard to fail. And, although it's probably possible for a motherboard to hurt a hard drive - I've never heard of the problem in all my years on the web.

The SMART stuff is fairly straight forward - if everything that you see is Green, the drive is "probably" OK. I have no clue at all about the hard drive temps - have never checked them myself. Since you're backing everything up now, it's probably safe to wait until it dies (as long as you keep backing up).

Is this a Gateway or an Intel? It matters because if it's a Gateway, there may be some special programs for it that aren't included with the Intel board. If it's a Gateway computer - what model is it? What you're looking for is chipset drivers - they're what helps to control communication with your hard drive.

Please check all the plugs. This means removing them, looking for bent pins, and carefully align and reinsert them fully.

#8 awg1011

awg1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 10:23 PM

Hi John,

It's a Gateway 310 and has an Intel Brownsville D845GBV motherboard (845G chipset). On Gateways website, I had the computer scanned for updates and for drivers they listed Intel extreme graphics, Realtec audio, Intel intergradted network, and the modem. We don't use a network, so I've never bothered to update it, We don't use either the onboard video or audio and don't even have drivers installed for them (it's been like this for over a year), I have pci video and audio cards.

I checked all the plugs, and even replaced the primary ide cable. Something really odd happened, I robbed the ide from my Linux box and put it in this PC and booted, the secondary showed up as master and the master as secondary :thumbsup: , and yes, I did have it connected correctly. So I pulled out one of the Maxtor boxes and replaced it with a brand new cable.

I also booted with Maxtor's PowerMax disc and performed the harddrive tests and it passes everything.

Today, while trying to backup Quickbooks, my burner wouldn't work, any disc would show up as being empty and not writeable. At the time this happened the event viewer logged the following:"The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period." The same error as before only this time it's ideport1 instead of ideport0. There's 5 all about a minute appart. Right now it's working properly.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:49 AM

What I do when the manufacturer's stuff won't work for me, is I go to the makers website (in this case Intel) and download from them.

If you're not using some of the built in components on the mobo - then ensure that they're disabled in Device Manager and they should be alright. If they're not disabled, this could cause some of the problems that you've described.

Here's a link to the Intel site for the mobo: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df...45&submit=Go%21
I'd say that you at least need to use item #7 (that's the chipset stuff), and #6 is nice to have. #'s 8 and 9 relate to your USB - so you may need them also.

#10 awg1011

awg1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2005 - 10:52 PM

Thanks John.

I did go to intel's site and searched for drivers for my chipset, but all I kept coming up with is BIOS updated and video drivers, and I think the USB ones too. I've never had very good luck with searches. :thumbsup: I download the ones you mentioned, if things don't get any worse, I'll have to wait until after the holidays to install them because things are so busy right now. I'll try to keep you posted on how it goes.

I have the onboard sound disabled in the BIOS and video disabled in the device manager, I don't have the network disabled, isn't it needed for the modem (dialup)?

Thanks again and happy holidays (if you celabrate them)

#11 awg1011

awg1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 08:38 PM

Here's an update John.

I finally got around to installing the motherboard drivers, first I installed INFINST (#7 on the link you provided) and shortly after rebooting the clicking started and theese were in the event viewer:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Disk
Event Category: None
Event ID: 51
Date: 1/1/2006
Time: 7:06:38 PM
User: N/A
Computer: COMPUTER
Description:
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 03 00 68 00 01 00 b6 00 ..h....
0008: 00 00 00 00 33 00 04 80 ....3..€
0010: 2d 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 -.......
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 9f 09 00 00 00 00 00 00 Ÿ.......
0030: ff ff ff ff 03 00 00 00 ....
0038: 40 00 00 09 00 00 00 00 @.......
0040: 00 20 0a 12 40 03 20 40 . ..@. @
0048: 00 10 00 00 0a 00 00 00 ........
0050: 00 00 00 00 38 5a e4 81 ....8Z
0058: 00 00 00 00 f8 a5 a7 ff ....
0060: 00 00 00 00 60 f8 a2 07 ....`.
0068: 28 00 07 a2 f8 60 00 00 (..`..
0070: 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0078: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0080: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0088: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Event Type: Error
Event Source: IdeChnDr
Event Category: None
Event ID: 9
Date: 1/1/2006
Time: 7:06:38 PM
User: N/A
Computer: COMPUTER
Description:
The device, \Device\Ide\IdeDeviceP0T0L0, did not respond within the timeout period.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 0f 00 05 00 01 00 6e 00 ......n.
0008: 00 00 00 00 09 00 04 c0 .......
0010: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 00 00 00 00 00 .....

I did check both HDs and all partitons with checkdisk and the Maxtor CD and no errors were found on the drives.

I finished installing everything (but USBXPFIX, when I went to install it I got a message saying that it was only for XP without any servicepacks), I'm still getting the clicking, but will have to wait and see if I get anymore errors.

#12 awg1011

awg1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2006 - 10:10 PM

Problem solved!

I had been slowly adding hardware and never gave any thought to the lously 200W power supply. The poor hdds just wern't getting enough juice. I now have a larger PSU and everything seems fine, the whole system seems to be running faster.

Thanks for your help John.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:08 AM

Help? What help? It was your power supply? I didn't help with that! You did that on your own (although, with the error message that you posted, that would have been one of the top things to check).

I'm glad that you solved it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users