Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

overclocking advice

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gazjd

gazjd

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:13 PM

hi all, iv just been out and got a new tower today (very roomy lots of airflow 3fans) thinking about doing "a little" overclocking.

my system specs are
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
CPU
Intel Pentium 4 550
Prescott 90nm Technology
RAM
1.0GB Dual-Channel DDR @ 199MHz (3-3-3-8)
Motherboard
MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7046 (Socket 478)
Graphics
JC171D @ 1280x960
128MB Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) (Connect3D)
Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series Secondary (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) (Connect3D)
CrossFire Disabled
Hard Drives
244GB Hitachi Hitachi HCS725025VLAT80 ATA Device (PATA) 29 C
Optical Drives
HSPA USB SCSI CD-ROM USB Device
TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S162L ATA Device
Audio
SB Audigy

Iv done some research on the basics just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on achieving a stable overclock.

(not sure if i posted this in the right place, sorry)
thanks in advance :)
(INSERT SOMETHING FUNNY HERE<<<<<)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:14 PM

Questions:

Is this a prebuilt/OEM system? Does your BIOS have any options for overclocking? Are you running a stock cooler?

Prescotts are HOT. Your CPU is the lowest speed CPU of the 115 watt TDP series, and Intel has their own ideas of what the real TDP is. Long story short, any overclocking is going to make some major heat. Realistically, with that early CPU stepping, you are maybe (key word "maybe") looking at a 200-300mhz overclock with a slight voltage bump. The higher wattage prescotts were already running near the edge as far as heat dissipation is concerned. Any overclocking will need a better than stock CPU cooler. Even then you takes your chances with heat.

If this was my system, instead of going for another 200-300 mhz, I would opt for another 1gig of DDR2 to bring the RAM up to 2 gigs (If I could get some cheap). You will notice that a lot more than a modest overclock running WIN7.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 gazjd

gazjd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:56 PM

thanks for the reply, the heatsink and cpu cooler are both aftermarket there is also a MEGA sized fan on the front of the case and a fan on the side window shifting alot of air through the case.

i was looking to buy some ram 4x1gb ddr, that was untill i seen the price! unless i can pick up some second hand ram buying new is out of the question.

thanks
(INSERT SOMETHING FUNNY HERE<<<<<)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users