Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Wireless Network Signal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 aprt

aprt

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:51 PM

My computer was recently infected with some malware. After trying to remove it using security software of various types, I gave up and did a fresh install of Windows, followed by again running different security software just as a precaution. I did this with the help of MajorGeeks.com and none of the security software showed any malware after reinstalling Windows. However, I have one remaining problem that seems to have started after the malware infection. It seems that my wireless network signal strength is fluctuating from excellent to poor. In other words, at times the signal strength is great and then suddenly I can see it decreasing to "poor" for a period of time, before it (eventually) returns to "excellent". This same issue occurs several times each hour.

I have a couple of questions regarding this issue. First, is it possible, even after reinstalling Windows and running the various security software, that the malware is still on my computer? Second, is it possible that the malware somehow affected the wireless modem on my computer so that I am now experiencing these signal issues, but that the malware is no longer a threat? If so, is there any way to repair my wireless modem so that the wireless network signal strength no longer fluctuates? My computer doesn't seem to drop the wireless network connection altogether, but the signal strength does decrease to the point where streaming audio or video is impossible for a period of time, at least until the signal strength returns to normal. I suppose that this problem could be unrelated to the malware infection, but I'm not experiencing these same "signal" issues on any other computers connected to this same wireless network, and so this issue seems very suspect.

Thanks very much! I greatly appreciate your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kram B

Kram B

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:30 AM

No, if you did a clean install you would not have the Malware anymore. But it could have damaged it.

I suggest looking for the latest drivers of that and download and install them.

#3 bradumd

bradumd

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:35 PM

Firstly, it is possible for your computer to still be infected even after a clean install, but its very unlikely. The most common way to reinfect your computer is to make a backup of data/files that contains the malware, and when transferring the data back over, you can possibly reinfect your computer again. If you have not copied back any data, I would not worry about being infected as it is probably on the bottom of the list of possible causes for your connection issues.

Secondly, as far as your router goes, to my knowledge it is possible for viruses to change proxies on your router which may cause connection issues.

Like Kram B suggested, I would advise to first make sure your wireless card drivers are completely up to date. You may also want to try to resetting your router back to its factory settings. The steps to complete this differ for different routers, so you can either post up your router model in this thread, or search for instructions on your own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users