Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 j54ams

j54ams

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:19 PM

I recently reinstalled Window XP Home on a relatives Dell Dimension 4550. When restarting at my home, it started quickly. But, after taking it back to their house, it loads to a black screen with a dash flashing in upper left corner for up to 10 minutes before continuing to load. It then loads completely and runs well. What could cause such a problem? I was baffled since it booted perfectly at my house!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:26 PM

Typically...the black screen with flashing cursor in upper left...indicates an MBR problem. Often overcome by running the fixmbr command from the XP Recovery Console.

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

But since it's a Dell system...there are other considerations.

Dells and Fixmbr Command - http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/p/19304465/19589396.aspx

Louis

#3 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:41 PM

If it were a MBR problem, why would it work fine at my house but not theirs? It worked totally great here! I even brought it back to my house to recheck and it still worked great here but when i took it back to their house, it didn't boot very fast again with the cursor in upper left corner again. After it finally loads, it runs OK.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:50 PM

Well..."typically" was a key word I used.

A system that has problems at one location, but not another...would lead me to think that there are significant power fluctuations between the two (possibly).

Or some key hardware component has become loosened and works properly intermittently.

Those are my best guesses :).

Louis

#5 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:01 PM

That was my assumption about the power but didn't know for sure if that would have caused it. Thanks, Louis. I'm going to suggest they check the power to that plug.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:55 PM

Take the side panel off, and see if anything came loose in transit?

#7 j54ams

j54ams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:57 AM

That wasn't it because I transported it twice with same results! Thanks for the idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users