Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't use external mic?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:13 PM

I just installed windows 7 on this laptop that was given to me.
I have a headset and it worked perfectly fine on XP, all I had to do was go to recording devices, then select external mic.
Now, in windows 7, it only uses the internal mic, instead of the external microphone, so what do I do now? I've tried everything, and it says 'analog jack' in the recording devices area. I can't seem to select an external microphone!

The laptop is a dell Latitude d620.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WLH&catid=3&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=LATITUDE+D620&hidos=WLH&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=False&scanConsent=False

There is no windows 7 support.

Edited by ZlobIsFun, 13 December 2010 - 01:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:22 PM

I did find a driver for Vista. http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WV64&catid=-1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=LATITUDE+D620&hidos=NAA&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=Fal
I had a Dell XPS-420 that also had no Windows 7 support. Normally a Vista driver will work. It's worth a try, anyway. Or you could check the SigmaTel website for a Windows 7 driver if the Dell Vista driver won't work.

#3 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:47 PM

I did find a driver for Vista. http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WV64&catid=-1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=LATITUDE+D620&hidos=NAA&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=Fal
I had a Dell XPS-420 that also had no Windows 7 support. Normally a Vista driver will work. It's worth a try, anyway. Or you could check the SigmaTel website for a Windows 7 driver if the Dell Vista driver won't work.

Well, I do have sound. I think windows 7 installed it on the computer, although I'm not very sure. I'll give it a try, but I'm fairly certain sigmatel doesn't have an audio control panel.

#4 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:58 PM

I honestly don't remember. My onboard audio was failing and Dell gave me the choice of buying an add-in audio card for $139 or buying a 'refurbished' motherboard for $230. I opted to buy a new motherboard from ASUS and a new case from Cooler Master, install all of the scavenged parts from the Dell, and did it for less than the cost of an audio card. I improved my performance and even saved money in the process. At the time there were many problems with Dell's SigmaTel audio. One of the solutions was to remove the SigmaTel drivers and use the default Windows 7 drivers. This is what I had done to stop crashes. You could try the Dell Forums to see if anyone else has had this problem and found a solution.

#5 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 05:10 PM

Try right clicking on your speaker on the task bar, should bring up options for recording devices

#6 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:01 PM

Try right clicking on your speaker on the task bar, should bring up options for recording devices

I said I tried this.

#7 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

Sorry, I missed that.

Try this Vista driver:
http://download.cnet.com/SigmaTel-High-Definition-Audio-CODEC/3000-2110_4-173629.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users