Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Clients Killing Server 2003 Shared Printers

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 davintosh

davintosh

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

I support a network consisting of a Windows domain running off a Windows 2003 domain controller/file server/print server where most of the clients are running Windows XP (balance are Mac OS X machines). I've been experimenting lately with Windows 7 Professional, but am finding that any time I add a printer in Windows 7 and connect to one of the shared printers hosted on the Server 2003 machine, all other clients are unable to use the printer. The blocking happens gradulally; when the printer is first installed, the XP users will occasionally get an error when printing (complains that drivers aren't installed for the printer), but will usually be able to print. If after setting up that printer I actually print a page from the Win7 machine, that will ultimately block them completely. They'll get the missing drivers error any time they try to print or try to open the Properties window for that printer.

The printers in question are Kyocera Mita 3035 multi-purpose machines; all drivers are installed on the server, and this has worked well with all other client machines. The network is new within the last four years, with Cat.6 cabling and gigabit ethernet (copper) switches in between. The server is a Dell PowerEdge server running Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2, with all updates applied.

I'm hoping this is something that someone has seen before. For now I've built a workaround by setting up another shared printer on the server specifically for the Windows 7 machine; so far so good. But since I'm only testing with one Windows 7 machine I'm not sure whether I'll have the same issue with multiple Win7 machines trying to share a single printer on the server.

Thanks for any tips or ideas you might be willing to share.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users