Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Complete Lash-Up !!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Thickdad

Thickdad

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:12 PM

Well it started like this :-

We lost access to all the controls after Kaspersky deleted a file ..... MSLS51.dll
So it seemed a sensible thing to run all the recovery discs through the computer.
Well the computer an Acer Aspire L100 came with all the programmes installed (we think)
and a series of recovery discs were written - 7 CD's worth before we started using it,
probably back in 2006-7.
The first disc asks little more than language (Country) and then after a very short time
asks for disc 2. Disc 2 runs until 14% and then stops quoting an error 0xf0000005.
Now all I can get is a DOS message press Ctrl Alt Del which of course just starts again
until it displays Ctrl Alt Del again !!

We don't have a Windows XP Disc for this computer - Just don't know what to do ?

Would my Laptop Acer system & 2 recovery discs work ?

Thickdad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:32 PM

Do know anyone that you can borrow a retail installation CD from? It will need to be the same version as yours, eg. Home or Pro.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Thickdad

Thickdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:40 PM

Hi dc3,
Not that I can think of.

I do have a slightly newer version here that came with one of my systems, similar in that it's XP Home Edition with SP2 whereas the troublesome system was probably original XP, but had been updated to SP 3 before all this happened.

Thickdad

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:47 PM

In order to do a repair installation you will need a retail version of the operating system. There are other options using either a recovery CD or partition which will revert this back to the way that it came from the factory. But this means that you will lose all of your data, photos, e-mail, non-Windows programs...

A repair installation from a retail CD will not affect your data.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Thickdad

Thickdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:53 PM

The one I have is a full OEM Microsoft XP disc with windows COA, but were these 'trimmed' versions ?

Thickdad

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:59 PM

Here's the long and short of it. There are several versions of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system. OEM stands for "Original Equipment Manufacturer," and these versions are sold to computer system builders like Dell or Gateway. These versions have a few limitations like support and licensing. OEM versions are tied to the original computer the operating system is installed on, so you cannot use it on another machine. Retail versions of Windows XP are fully supported, and you can install it on any machine. You can detect an OEM version of Windows XP by viewing the packaging or the hologram on the installation CD.

You have the twenty five character alphanumerical code for your copy of XP, so you can use a retail copy of the installation CD as long as it is the same version as yours to do a repair installation, or to reinstall the operating system.

Edited by dc3, 13 December 2010 - 02:03 PM.

#7 Thickdad

Thickdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:32 AM

My Thanks to dc3,

Part through my own actions the computer is stuffed, until, or unless Acer can help me.

Once I'd attempted to use the Home Burnt recovery discs it had over-written enough to disable the operating system.
I did put the OEM version of XP on and within tight limits it worked - however all the drivers specific to the Acer system were disabled (even MS media player couldn't play a disc as the audio drivers couldn't be found)
I then tried recovery discs again, hoping that perhaps whatever was causing the recovery failure had been overwritten - However the results were the same.
I then checked the recovery discs only to find that they had not burnt reliably - in fact disc 3 & 4 were 100% used, but contained 0 bytes !! It's therefore almost certain that disc 2 was also incomplete.
As a result I'm trying to see if Acer can supply me with a set of recovery discs ...... obviously at a price ......

I don't know how you can do it, but would now think everyone should check the finished product of any home burnt recovery discs !!

ThickDad

Edited by Thickdad, 16 December 2010 - 08:35 AM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:42 AM

If you go to the Acer web site you should be able to download the drivers that you will need.

In order to assist you with this you will need to post the model of the Acer.

#9 Thickdad

Thickdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:51 AM

Hi dc3,

Tried that with the audio drivers, but they came zipped and there wasn't anything on the system to unzip them ? I'd brought them in on my own system as being used now, put onto a USB stick.

You may also be able to help me with another problem of today - I had a SATA disc here and bought an external case. Plugged in and recognised with XP saying drivers installed and ready to use. Went to my computer - no extra drive shown.
Went through the tools and although I'm told there are no problems with it I find it's "not initialised", so that part can't recognise anything about the drive other than it exists and is working !!
So how do I initialise it ??

68 year old novices should be banned !!

Thickdad

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:00 AM

The first thing you need to install are the chipset drivers.

You still haven't posted the model of this Acer, this is important.

Did you format this hdd? It will not be recognized in My Computer unless it has been formatted.

#11 Thickdad

Thickdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:10 AM

Hi dc3,

Sorry - the Acer is a mini desktop L100 - I have asked Acer for help regarding the supply of a new set of recovery discs, but due to the age it may not be possible ? I'm awaiting their reply (24 Hrs or so).

Stupid HDD question perhaps, but how can I format it when I can't find it? Which tells you I havn't formatted it. I didn't have to format the LaCie external HD I got years ago for my laptop.

Sorry If I have you tearing your hair out .... I chose the name Thickdad because ......

Thickdad.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:09 AM

Sorry If I have you tearing your hair out .... I chose the name Thickdad because ......

No problem. :thumbup2:

I got ahead of myself. You need to enter the BIOS and enable the Auto-detect. Once this is done you should be able to see the new hdd in Disk Management. If you can see the hdd use the instructions below to format it.

Right click on My Computer, click on Manage> Disk Management.

The box for the drive to be formatted should have a black bar at the top of it, you should see Unallocated under its size. Right click on it and select New Partition. The New Partition Wizard will open.

In the New Partition Wizard click Next. On the next page make sure Primary Partition is selected and click Next. Make the size equal to the maximum (it should already be set to it), and click Next. On the following page the computer will automatically choose the first available drive letter for the new drive. However, if you like you can choose another drive letter from the drop-down menu, and then click Next.

The New Partition Wizard asks if you would like to format the new partition and if so what format. Choose NTFS. Leave the Allocation unit size as Default. In the Volume Label field you can name this hdd. Place a check mark in the Perform a quick format box. Leave the Enable file and folder compression box unchecked and click Next. Then on the following page click Finish.

This may take a while, it depends mostly on the size of the hdd. Do not close the Computer Management window until it finishes. You will know when the process is complete when the word under Size of the drive changes from Formatting to Healthy.

Edited by dc3, 16 December 2010 - 10:14 AM.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:12 AM

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

#14 Thickdad

Thickdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:44 PM

Again acting very thick .....

Which computer ? The Acer L100 which is my real problem, I can't get it on line anyway because it's very poorly. Currently stripped of OS just waiting for Acer's reply regarding recovery discs.

My own computer I've spent the afternoon (U.K time Zone) searching the Bleeping site and in the end found a Tutorial from Nov 2005 that allowed me to get this external HDD up and running. There were a couple of glitches that leave me puzzled, but I now have a 320GB SATA external USB drive broken into 3 partitions - 2 x NTFS and 1 x FAT32 to use with my trusty old Win98SE system.
My puzzle was I recall my No.1 son saying that there were size limits for partitions on FAT32 and the largest I managed to get in today was just under 32 GB, yet my LaCie 111 GB USB pocket drive has a single partition on FAT32 ? I also found that I made a mistake when setting the first partition where the screen clearly said MB, but I was thinking GB, so ended up with a 157 MB partition that I can't expand this is now left unallocated (Big loss ? not worth the trouble to try and save !!)

Anyway I'm so pleased to have found somewhere where I can ask questions and try to learn - My No.1 son married and moved 150 miles away as well as loosing touch because his time is all used by his young family.

I'll add my usual computer as I may well run into future problems with that (PS I have 4, 2 x on XP, 1 x on 98SE, and another on 98SE that's died because the old soldered in battery has died - that's real history 200 Mhz processor with 48 Mb 72 pin EDO RAM !!)

Thickdad

#15 Thickdad

Thickdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:57 AM

Hi dc3,

The Acer charge for a full set of Aspire L100 recovery discs is 50, or around $70-80. It'll be up to my son to decide if he's prepared to spend that much on his 3 year old computer.

I see it was naughty of me to also include the second problem, but that external disc is up and running.

So thank you for your time and patience !!

Thickdad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users