Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files Won't Defragment

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ezpkns34

ezpkns34

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:53 AM

Tried to defrag last night and was told that some of the files could not be defragmented. When I viewed the report to see which files they are, there was a decent sized list of them (probably 10-15)

Any suggestions on what to do? Should I just try to go & delete the listed files? Is there any reason these files couldn't be defragmented?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:24 PM

There are some files that just won't defrag, is files are in use they will not defrag either, this is why you should close all applications when defragmenting the hdd.

Even with all of the applications off there are still systems within the operating system which will still be active, the swap file is a good example. You can use a program like PageDefrag which can schedule a defrag of the system files on your next boot, before the system is actually running.

What are you using to defrag the hdd?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:14 PM

As an additional bit of info to what Dc3 stated.

Defraging in safe mode will do even a bit better job. How ever as stated all files will not defrag. Hibernation files come to mind besides the page file.

I like and use PageDefrag on my systems that I do`t run a set page file size or run completely without a page\swap file.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:39 PM

<<Any suggestions on what to do? Should I just try to go & delete the listed files? Is there any reason these files couldn't be defragmented?>>

Programs used to defrag...vary in terms of what is done. First thing we need to know is what program was used to defrag.

If using the native Windows defragger...as stated, it will not defrag certain system files. It has always been that way.

If a 3d-party program was used, you probably ought to visit that website to ascertain how reports should be interpreted/read and any program exceptions that are noteworthy. Typically, many 3d-party programs are available to defrag all files...and there are any number of ways to effectively produce a defrag of the system files previously noted.

Louis

#5 ezpkns34

ezpkns34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:13 PM

Thanks for the quick responses

Yeh, I used the basic Windows defrag, but had never seen files that won't defrag before, hence my confusion

Will give PageDefrag a go tonite & see if that takes care of these files

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:01 PM

The significance of having some fragmented files is overrated in much of our thinking. Depending on which files they are, it might not matter at all, especially with an NTFS file system.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 speedbird76

speedbird76

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:09 AM

Any suggestions on what to do? Should I just try to go & delete the listed files? Is there any reason these files couldn't be defragmented?

Don't delete them; they could be important files. Some could even be system files or restore points that the native defragger cannot defrag.
Download a trial version of a commercial defragger from a reputable manufacturer and defrag the drive. It's free for the duration of the trial period (usually one month IIRC), works just like the real thing, and you'll get your work done.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:44 AM

If they are page files then PageDefrag will take care of them.

If they are hibernation files, hiberfil.sys, then they can be eliminated by simply disabling Hibernation if you do not use it.

How to disable and re-enable hibernation on a computer that is running Windows

Also, what Platypus stated is very true.
Just because you just now noticed them does not mean they have not been there all along. With little or no ill affect on system performance.

Example. You would not believe the fragmentation on a fresh, fully updated install of Widows. Even prior to installing any other programs. Yet the machine becomes very snappy in performance despite the fragmentation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users