Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard virus or simple malfunction?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jenkatt1

jenkatt1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:08 AM

This morning I woke up and started up my computer to check email, weather, etc. It took a little longer than usual to load, but I didn't think anything of it. When I loaded up Google Chrome, I tried to type something into the search bar, but no letters came up, rather my keystrokes were bringing up file drop down menus. Also, when I opened a new tab and went to click on one of my frequently viewed pages, the page would not load, rather the browser would prompt me to download the link (the little popup bar that shows up at the bottom of the page). I didn't download anything. To try and fix this I restarted my computer (nope), swapped out my USB keyboard for another one (nope), ran a virus scan with AVG (only thing that popped up was one thing of malware--mstsc.exe is what the history log said. Virus scan was clean, malware was quarantined and deleted), and then I resorted to my college "fix-all" solution: the system restore. It didn't work. Keyboard is still doing the same stuff. It was working fine last night when I put it into sleep mode. We did lose power in the middle of the night and the computer turned off completely, but I didn't think that would have anything to do with the malfunctioning of my keyboard. Any ideas or suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:33 PM

You may have turned on "sticky keys" or some other assistive technology. The power failure may have triggered it.
Weird things can happen during a power failure.

Here is a link explaining a bit of what I am talking about.
Press keyboard shortcuts one key at a time (Sticky Keys)
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users